Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Car Fires and Car Construction/Materials

13 posts in this topic

In x635's post about the complicated car fire in Bedford Hills (7/7/05), he mentioned some unique problems due to the car's construction.

I know that some of the new top-line Mercedes' have double-pane glass for sound deadening, climate control, etc. When I took the AVET course at the WCFTC there happened to be one of these cars on the pad. One thing to note that might throw you off for a second when you are on the scene is that if you are using a spring-punch or even a pike or halligan to break a window, you actually have to bust through two different pieces of glass. Not that this is the biggest deal in the world, just something to look out for.

Another thing that I have encountered at a few recent car fires is the increased presence of Magnesium. Most memorably the Magnesium was found in a new GM Pickup and a new Ford Explorer.

So basically I am starting this thread so we can all share our knowledge of strange and/or potentially dangerous things that we have encountered in Vehicle fires.

Magnesium is becoming more and more popular in autos. Volvo engines, some Jeep engines as well.

Another problem is the number of cars with more than just front airbags. We now have side airbags, rear airbags and so on. Some minivans and SUV's advertize as many as 12 airbags. Having to cut a roof off is becoming a hazard as you never know where the cylinder for the airbag is.

As far as Magnesium burning in a vehicle I know Fairview Rescue 3 is equipted with a fairly new "Class D Fire Exting." This is partly due to a VW bug on fire that needed Class D agent application.

Please note that this is availble for M/A when requested.Thanks

I would hope that every engine carries at least one Class D extinguisher.

On some cars, the battery might not always be located under the hood. Some BMWs and Mercedes have them either in the trunk or right up against the firewall.

This is another aspect/skill of the fire service that is becoming extremely difficult and complicated to stay current on. In addition to what some have already added, understand that many manufacturers are beginning to use more and more 2 stage airbags as well.

Ron Moore through Firehouse magazine often stays on top of new technology and construction materials through articles in the magazine and on their website. I recommend spending the money for both the mag and access to their "members zone" online.

Also Holmatro publishes a book that has manufacturer and models that shows locations of airbags and other hazards. Its a bit pricey but a wonderful tool. The only downside is, its a bound book so every year the new models aren't in it and if they would come out with a binder issue that you can buy updates for it would be much better. But its still great with all the older models we deal with.

Most apparatus do not carry D ext. Also keep in mind that with these extinguishers they do not operate and are not very effective unless the agent can be piled on the burning metal to form a crust to exclude oxygen and begin stopping the chemical chain reaction. Its not like a ABC where you sweep back and forth. The metal under it will still be burning for some time and that is also extremely important to remember. Incident priorities again, its just a car, if you have an exposure problem and no life safety issue your exposure is the concern, protect it. Copius amounts of water, you'll either take enough heat away or cause enough heat with the water reaction to burn the fuel away.

another fun little road block is the new cars with pencil sized A Posts. They're made of high stength metal alloys. If you try and cut them you will break your tool.

I was told that the company that makes the explosives for air bags is the some one that makes the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle, the same company that brought us the infamous O-ring.

All Croton Engines carry a class D extinguisher. I wonder if any of our "old-timers" can provide us with an incident or two that prompted them to put them on all 3 pumpers.

Battery Placement: Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Battery is accesible by removing the front right tire.

some of the older Audi's had the battery under the back seat.

Hybrids: High voltage battery is usually in the truck (under carpet or behind rear seat). With cables running along floor board to engine compartment. Additionally, there is NO WAY to disconnect/disable. There is also a 12 volt battery which is separate of the high voltage battery.

On HONDA HYBRIDS, all electrical motor related cables are encased in bright orange plastic tubing. Under the hood, they are visible just behind the transverse engine, when standing in front of the vehicle.

On both the HONDA ACCORD HYBRID and CIVIC HYBRID the electric motor batteries are stacked in a vertical 3" inch deep panel between the trunk and rear seat.