Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mstrang1

Sat 1

11 posts in this topic

This morning while on 12th Avenue, I saw Sat 1 responding NB, with an Engine Co. My question is, are the Sat units Special call only? And if so, does anyone know where it was headed this morning? and how many runs/yr do they get?

There was a 2nd alarm this morning at 135th Street & Broadway. Satelites are dispatched on the 2nd alarm as protocal.

The Satelite units are pretty much a big hose wagon with some toys. The Engine is assigned a 2000gpm pumper that goes along when it responds. They also have special stuff form Foam Ops. One of the big things they do is bring the large manifold.

Engine 9 / Sat 1

Engine 72 / Sat 2

Engine 284 / Sat 3

Engine 324 / Sat 4

Engine 159 / Sat 5

Engine 207 / Sat 6

They respond on all 2nd Alarms and above as well they do have some 1st alarm boxes such as Riverdale.

What are the reasons for it's first due? Long stretches?

Long response times and I belive some water supply issues up there in Riverdale. I think a Sat company is dispatched on fires west of Broadway in the Bronx.

It was probably Sat2 you seen going to the 2nd alarm.....along with 72 Engine.

Sat 1 covers Manhattan they come out of Canal st with Engine 9. They were assigned on the 2nd Alarm in Manhattan. Sat 2 had the 3rd in the Bronx at 6am.

On the rundown that I recieved from a dispatcher it had E72 and Sat 2 on the 2nd in Manhattan........so was it E9 and sat 1 that responded?

Could be wrong but pretty sure it was Sat 1. Look at the location. Sat 2 would be coming across town not up 12av. Where as Engine 9 could come up the west side from Canal. They never made it to the scene so I didn't get a chance to see who it was.

I thought it was strange too......but I do know that they (E72, Sat2) have come into Harlem before.....i'll send a couple emails out and try and get some clarification on it.

Anything north of 125 Street is 72/2. There are certain street boxes in the Bronx where 72/2 go on the initial alarm, due to water concerns/long stretches. I have also seen them sent to certain fires where we know they're going to be needed. They go up into Riverdale on the 10-75. It's anything north of 230 Street and West of Broadway.

It's possible 72/2 didn't operate at the job on Tremont and went to the job in Harlem.