Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Mount Vernon Fire Stations

22 posts in this topic

FDMV has 4 stations and the FAB!!!

Now for the bonus points:

How many did they have in the seventies?? DougE??

CAM, do i have to dig out my grandfathers old books and such? Im sure if i were to look long enough i could tell you how many they had back in the 20s. But thats for another time.

Dig out those books man. I don't think you know.

side note:

Your grandfather was out of oak st. right? PM or call me with his name if you could.

Ok to answer my own ?? I belive there were 6 working stations in the 70's but over the years there have been a dozen or so. If you drive around the city you can still see some of the old one's that have been redone. A good example is the old Rescue quarters on Fulton Ave just north of 3rd St. Last I saw I think it was a window company.

Ok to answer my own ??  I belive there were 6 working stations in the 70's but over the years there have been a dozen or so.  If you drive around the city you can still see some of the old one's that have been redone. A good example is the old Rescue quarters on Fulton Ave just north of 3rd St.  Last I saw I think it was a window company.

Other stations that are now closed, 211 4th Ave, former home to Eng. 3 and 4, 6th Ave. the old Truck 1. Now go back to the old, old books. Where was Eng. 6 before HQ? what about when Truck 2 was at Oak St. Where was Eng 1? What about the Fulton St station, where was Truck 3 or Eng 5?

AJS,

how old do you want to go?

Back in 1922:

Truck No. 1 (Originally Clinton Hook & Ladder Co- 1856) located at Fire Headquarters, 211 South 4th Ave.

Truck No. 2 (Originally Columbia Hose Co. No. 2- 1894) located on Oak St across from Bleeker Street (present location of E2 and E4). Had been housed on North Railroad Ave near Mt Vernon Ave up until the name change in 1908.

Engine Co. No. 1 (Originally Protection Engine Co. No. 1- 1874) located in the Village of West Mount Vernon.

Engine Co. No. 2 (Originally Central Hose Co. #3- 1891) Eventually located on East Sidney Ave. (Im not sure if it was there back in '22, but that was the location for many years).

Engine Co. No. 3 (Originally Mt. Vernon Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 1- 1889) located at Fire Headquarters on South Fourth Ave.

Chemical No. 1 (Originally Neptune Engine Co. No. 1 of the Town of Eastchester for 50 years until 1860. It was then renamed Washington Engine Co. No. 1) located at 23 South Sixth Ave.

Chemical No. 2 (Originally Niagara Hose Co. No. 2- 1888) located at 151 South Fulton Ave.

Chemical No. 3 (Originally Independent Hose Co. No. 1- 1889 and then Independent Hose Co. No. 2- 1895) located at 446 South Fifth Ave.

Chemical No. 4 (Originally Fire Patrol- 1886) location unknown.

Since the Mount Vernon FD Web Site is not as updated and informative as the Yonkers FD Web Site (www.yfd.org), can you tell us by Station, what rigs are housed where (including all Secondary Rigs such as the Foam Unit, as well as Reserve/Back Up Rigs), ie: what is in what station?

Since the Mount Vernon FD Web Site is not as updated and informative as the Yonkers FD Web Site (www.yfd.org), can you tell us by Station, what rigs are housed where (including all Secondary Rigs such as the Foam Unit, as well as Reserve/Back Up Rigs), ie: what is in what station?

Well sure... :D

Station 1 - 470 E Lincoln Ave. - Ladder 2 and Engine 6 It is also HQ with Car 1, Car 1A, Car 3, and Car 5 (Fire prevention).

Station 2 - 431 S Fulton Ave. - Engine 5, Rescue 1, County Squad 3, Support Unit, Foam 1, Marine 1, and it is also home to the FDMV Mechanic Shop (Car 7). Also a spare Engine.

Station 3 - 50 W 3rd St. - Ladder 3, Engine 3, Car 8 (Training), and the Battalion. Tower Ladder 1 is stored here along with Car 6 (The Fire Alarm Bureau truck)

Station 4 - 9-11 Oak St. - Engine 2 and Engine 4

Well I think thats it. Hope it helped.

CAM or Shantz - Do you both feel that Station 3 is one of the most efficient Stations in Westchester County, as it relates to the housing of rigs? (possibly along with the White Plains FD Station near the White Plains Train Station? FDMV Station 3 is a 4 Bay Station, with Rear Access (not neading to back the rigs in). It is my hope that when Yonkers decides to proceed with their New Fire Headquarters and Training Facility, that they look at the design of both Station 3 in Mount Vernon and the Station in White Plains (as well as Station 1 in New Rochelle), as a Prototype of what the New YFD Hdqrs will look like. Your thoughts?

PS - I think Thornwood also has a 4 Bay Headquarters as well. This is the type of layout that I would like to see for Yonkers' New Headquarters/Training Facility.

AJS, 

how old do you want to go?

Back in 1922:

Truck No. 1 (Originally Clinton Hook & Ladder Co- 1856)  located at Fire Headquarters, 211 South 4th Ave.

Truck No. 2 (Originally Columbia Hose Co. No. 2- 1894) located on Oak St across from Bleeker Street (present location of E2 and E4).  Had been housed on North Railroad Ave near Mt Vernon Ave up until the name change in 1908.

Engine Co. No. 1 (Originally Protection Engine Co. No. 1- 1874) located in the Village of West Mount Vernon.

Engine Co. No. 2 (Originally Central Hose Co. #3- 1891) Eventually located on East Sidney Ave. (Im not sure if it was there back in '22, but that was the location for many years).

Engine Co. No. 3 (Originally Mt. Vernon Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 1- 1889) located at Fire Headquarters on South Fourth Ave. 

Chemical No. 1 (Originally Neptune Engine Co. No. 1  of the Town of Eastchester for 50 years until 1860. It was then renamed Washington Engine Co. No. 1) located at 23 South Sixth Ave.

Chemical No. 2 (Originally Niagara Hose Co. No. 2- 1888) located at 151 South Fulton Ave.

Chemical No. 3 (Originally Independent Hose Co. No. 1- 1889 and then Independent Hose Co. No. 2- 1895) located at 446 South Fifth Ave.

Chemical No. 4 (Originally Fire Patrol- 1886) location unknown.

Shantz - Chemical Eng #4 is now Engine 6 I believe stationed at 470 E Lincoln, Fire HQ

]

Ajsbear, you are probably right. I think i heard that somewhere along the line. I was going with what i had in the book from 1922.

YonkersR3- personally, i think anyone who has the room SHOULD build a house that has a rear entrance to the bays. If i remember correctly, Katonah's HQs is the same way (not sure if they have 4 or 5 bays though). At its present location, I dont think Yonkers has the room to do that though. Plus, if they are gonna house spare rigs in it as well, then the front line apparatus would be up front with spares behind them. Now if they want to move everything each time they get back to quarters, then sure put access doors in the rear of the building. I personally think its just as easy to back a rig into the bays. As for how many bays they should put in the new HQ, that depends on what they are going to house there. Obviously each front line first due apparatus should have its own bay, so if they house 4 front line trucks, then have 4 bays, etc.

As is usually said, what works for one might not work for another. I am a firm believer that it works here as well.

Station 1 - 470 E Lincoln Ave. - Ladder 2 and Engine 6  It is also HQ with Car 1, Car 1A, Car 3, and Car 5 (Fire prevention).

Station 2 - 431 S Fulton Ave. - Engine 5, Rescue 1, County Squad 3,  Support Unit, Foam 1, Marine 1, and it is also home to the FDMV Mechanic Shop (Car 7).  Also a spare Engine.

Station 3 - 50 W 3rd St. - Ladder 3, Engine 3, Car 8 (Training), and the Battalion.  Tower Ladder 1 is stored here along with Car 6 (The Fire Alarm Bureau truck)

Station 4 - 9-11 Oak St. - Engine 2 and Engine 4

Well I think thats it.  Hope it helped.

Is the FAB in a separate location? Also who are Cars 1, 1A, and 3 and is Car 6 a FAB truck similar to Hartsdale's?

Thanks.

Fire Alarm Qtrs are the top floor of MV city hall. Car1 is the Comish, 1a is the Chief, and 3 is the Dep. Comish. Car 6 is just like Hartsdale's but I'm willing to bet it is older and more..."broken in".

For any old timers here Car 3 used to be the Vollie Deputy Chief.

I'm a little confused.

What rigs are manned all shifts? Not including when there is sick outs and something is taken out of service. Front line......what is it?

Take notes here:

Sation 1/HQ - Engine 6/Truck 2

Station 2 - Engine 5/Rescue 1

Station 3 - Engine 3 & Truck 3 - Car 2

Station 2 - Engine 2 & Engine 4

Engine 6 was located, for many years, on S. 3rd. Ave., between 1st and 2nd Streets. I believe the firehouse was located mid block on the east side of 3rd. Ave. The building was torn down years ago.

Personally I think:

Of all the firehouses the coolest traditional firehouse was Truck 1 on S. 6th Ave. A very comfortable FH.

211, always felt like a city firehouse. Oak St. had a similar feeling. All houses had poles with the exception of 470.

S. Fulton always felt like a Catholic School, to me. It felt too modern for my taste. However, good sized and laid out well considering it's age. There are interesting ghost stories about that house.

HQ, 470, was the country club of firehouses in MV. Formerly a mansion and private home it had a huge lounge and kitchen in the basement with wavy walls of 1/2 round wood slats with lit display boxes built into the walls, very unique design. It had a solarium off the meeting room on the main floor, 20' X 40' covered patio in the rear off the solarium. The apparatus floor left alot to be desired though.

Here's a question: Which houses had "horns"?

So, the TL isn't manned all the time? Is that a special response kind of thing?

The TL, or Tower 1, the old mack truck, is the current spare ladder for MVFD. Truck 3 is a bucket, more of a "platform" truck though, rear mounted with the bucket hangin over the cab.

As of this posting, L2, a Seagrave rear mounted straight stick, is out of service. TL 1 is running out of HQ on Lincoln Ave. So in theory, MVFD is running 2 towers right now.

Oak street firehouse (E-1 and E-2) had horns on it befor it was rehabed in 1985-1986.

In addition to Eng 1 & 2 on Oak St. 211 4th Ave where Eng 3 & 4 were, Truck 1 on 6th Ave between 1st and 2nd Street also had one. At one time the firehouse on Fulton that housed the Rescue had one as well. Don't remember how opperational it was since Rescue was an all Career company so the horn was out of service a lot.