Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Shorts as uniform wear

14 posts in this topic

Question for the gang...

How do you feel about shorts being part of a uniform? Not just for bike EMS, but worn as a part of your uniform?

This has sparked some good debate on another forum I peruse. For the record, I am in favor of them, and am allowed to wear them in my town where I am a professional firefighter/paramedic. They are part of our uniform, and we wear them for station wear and for EMS and service calls. Obviously, when needed we don our bunkers.

Rob

No issues with the shorts inhouse, but you are taking a chance on EMS calls. Alot more skin exposed when you are only in shorts.

This debate has come to the attention of fire departments in southern California. The Palm Springs FD allowed their firefighters at one time to wear shorts. Im not sure if this is still a practice there. The debate came after a study that came out when several firefighters in southern California recieved burns at incidents, mostly brush and grass fires. It was found that the firefighters that wore nomex uniform pants and long sleve cotton t-shirts suffered far less burns than those wearing short sleve t-shirts and shorts or non-nomex or other fire resistant material pants. Every agency was shown the slide show comparing the burns from the previous season. Well, the outcome was that most of the most fire department followed with what the large departments were already doing and started issuing nomex work pants. Firefighters on their own started making "brush bags" that included personal equipment in case that a big brush fire broke out. This equipment included long sleve cotton t-shirts. Most agencies that are in urban and suburban settings allow the members where duty t-shirts, but they must always where nomex pants until they change in the evenings.

I can tell you that as a photographer taking photos at brush fires can get very hot. I have long sleve t-shirts and a pair of nomex pants under my brush gear when one of those bad boys hit.

Bottom line is, how much of a chance do you want to take?

Edited by code3rnd

Great comment on the EMS issue...

Times like this week, I wish my Dept. would allow the use of shorts for station wear..

My department has worn shorts for about 2 years now, and FDNY has for several more then that. We have not experienced 1 injury, contamination or exposure when wearing shorts and I cannot remember where I saw the literature but FDNY from what I read has not had a single burn attributed to the use of shorts as a uniform. I also believe we kicked this topic around once already on here, I'll have to see if I can find it.

As far as EMS goes, as I said, not one contamination or exposure in 2 years. Watch where you kneel and you won't have a problem. You will still get exposed or contaminated with pants on as well, they are absorbant. As fire based EMS you have the advantage of opting to put on your bunkers.

How much risk do I want to take? As much as equals the benefits involved. Wearing uniform shorts all day isn't much difference then wearing shorts in your bunkers coming out of bed for a run and uniform shorts are generally cotton, and I've seen some that like wearing synthetic material jogging shorts to bed. Thats more risky.

In regards to shorts in the fire service it should be allowed in the warm months. Also, ems should be allowed to wear shorts but they might want to have a pair pants for those car accidents or bloody scenes. I believe the town of ossining PD allows there patrol officers to wear shorts.

I see no problem wearing shorts on duty, how much can a pair of cotten or nomex pants really help the lower half of your leg anyway? Shorts or not substance comes into contact with you you're still going to shower anyway.

Shorts as station wear isn't bad, but they should not be worn on calls. My department has jumpsuits that go over your shorts/t-shirt and are acceptable enough to wear on calls as they minimize the risk of bodily exposure from shorts.

Stamford Fire and Rescue Department has issued FR uniform shorts to all members that can be worn on duty. They are not permitted to be worn during emergency runs (including EMS runs), during training sessions at the fire training sessions, and during building inspections. The only time you must wear the long pants is during inspections and to and from work (We still have to wear uniforms in and out of work). When on a run or at drill members must wear their hitch pants over the shorts. That addresses the biohazards of any EMS run.

Since we started wearing shorts (about 5-6 years ago) we have not had one injury related to wearing shorts.

From personal experience they make a big difference when operating on a hot day like today (Hotter than Hell!!).

Be safe...and try to stay cool!!

It's a great idea, I wish my job would lets wear shorts...

It's a great idea, I wish my job would lets wear shorts...

You don't want to see Buffmedic236 in shorts!

Here's another interesting fact about uniform pants for SoCal fire departments. The majority of the agencies as you know wear nomex pants and the manufacturer must have then autoclaved prior to shipping them to the agency. The autoclave procedure makes the nomex fibers mesh to create a barrier that helps in the protection of bodily fluids.

Although my end of the job is Uniformed, we don't have a specific uniform to wear. Mine is usually T-shirts and jeans. Occasionally I wear shorts. It is frowned upon by my management. The one time I decided to wear shorts to work, I'm on my way in and hear one of our big bosses sign off the air at my office. I cursed myself all the way in. He mentioned I looked like I had been on vacation, but that was about it.