Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

YFD Headquarters

4 posts in this topic

I past by YFD headquarters today and noticed that all the doors were opened.

I stopped in for a closer look, due to the fact that I used to visit the station 25 years ago when I was a kid. (Even though my wife insist I still Im a kid)

That bulding has such history and character it would be a shame to see it go.

From the fire poles to the spelling of Head Qvarters on the exterior of the building, it appears to be a very nostalgic building.

The "Big House" is truly a Classic ! I was also fortunate, as a child (back in the Very Early 1960's) to not only visit YFD Headquarters, but to get a tour. (I was involved in an Auto Accident in 1962 and the Old Mack Box Rescue 1 Truck came to assist and helped me out personally. My Mom and I went to personally thank the Fireman who work the day I was involved in the Accident and thus that started my interested in the department = as well as having an uncle who was in the department at the time). Back then, YFD had Engine 1 at YFD Headquarters (I believe that it might have been one of the Old 1961 Ward LaFrance Rigs), Truck 1 (I think it was one of the 1958 American LaFrance Mid Mounts, and, of course, the Old Mack B Rescue Truck. If they do decided to build a New YFD Headquaters, I certainly hope someone takes alot of Photos (inside and out) to remember what the "Big House" was all about.

Steve,

FYI: It's relatively simple for you and/or anybody else to make an application for landmarking of YFD HQ to the city landmarks review Board which has done this process for several buildings in Yonkers this year alone. The most recent of which is the old power plant at the bottom of Glenwood Avenue at the Hudson River.

I hope Station 10 on Saw Mill River Road is landmarked. Would be a sin to demolish it if that fire company moves to Tuckahoe Road, Ridge Hill or wherever the rumor of the week is.

And who knows? As the area changes, maybe the old HQ will be sold and converted to some other use, be it residential or commercial. That don't build 'em like that anymore, that's for sure !! Will bet anybody $1000.00 right here that the stadium nearby is never, ever, built.

Dr,

station 10 is landmarked so you dont have to worry bout it being knocked down.