Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FAST or RIT

FAST or RIT:Which Name Do You Prefer?   58 members have voted

1. 1. FAST or RIT:Which Name Do You Prefer?

• FAST (Firefighter Assist And Search Team)
    • RIT (Rapid Intervention Team)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Was having a discussion with a friend the other day about two different names for the same function....FAST and RIT. Seems like different areas of the country use different terminolgy, but those seem to be the most popular.

I personally prefer RIT. I think the terminology "Rapid Intervention Team" describes the role much more powerfully then "Firefighter Assist And Search Team", which sounds kind of bland. Also, I think RIT is clearer to say and easier to understand.

Just some thoughts on a relatively simple thing.

FAST is easier to understand over the radio than RIT... But I agree when you say each word that the letters stand for, Rapid Intervention Team sounds much better.

Here's something to think about. I heard from one of the CT Fire Academy Instructors that was teaching my RIT class that there was a company in CT that decided to call their team "Firefighter Assist and Recovery Team" till they realized what the acronym for that would be, "FART" Thought you all would like laugh.

Here's something to think about.  I heard from one of the CT Fire Academy Instructors that was teaching my RIT class that there was a company in CT that decided to call their team "Firefighter Assist and Recovery Team" till they realized what the acronym for that would be, "FART"  Thought you all would like laugh.

I wouldn't want to use the word recovery. Seems like its always associated with a casualty.

I've used both terminology on the fireground and neither is difficult to understand when used on the radio. I personally prefer RIT over either, for no real disurnable reason. What I did love and I often joke about it when I teach FAST Tactics, is one department when they had T-shirts for their newly formed team was on the back it said: "FAST Team" So I had to ask them what a Firefighter Assist and Search Team Team was. The "doh" look on some of their faces was priceless.

Names aside. The most important thing that many departments overlook is what they use for radio identifiers for their individual team members. FAST 1, FAST 2, FAST 3......Search 1, Search 2, Rescue 1, Rescue 2. You have to come up with something that is compatible if you have more then 1 FAST/RIT on the scene that won't interfere and confuse all of you. In addition, many "Incident Commanders" and I use that term lightly in Westchester being we do not follow NIMS, we kid ourselves that we do, do not call in the appropriate amount of FAST/RIT's for what they have. Even a residential structural fire should at least have 1 additional FAST/RIT in staging in the event that the primary FAST/RIT gets activated. Phoenix has said that for every firefighter that needs assistance it can take 4-6 to achieve that, coupled with the avg. working time of 18-22 mins of a 30 min. rated SCBA cylinder under good conditions. Not to mention you will need more at commerical jobs.

Personally, I think FAST is a better description. I feel that a "Firefighter Assist and Search Team" has a more proactive approach then a "Rapid Intervention Team." To me, saying "RIT" kinda means they are only there to deploy if this $hit hits the fan. A "FAST" is their to "Assist..." I guess one can over analyze this to death. Point is this, I don't care what it is called, as long as they get me out when I need them.

As for ALS' post about team designations, our team utilizes the "FAST 1, FAST 2" thing, and should we be operating with another unit, we use "CROTON 1, 2." From what I recall from the SOG that we have been working on, if me and say, ALS, were a team, we would be "1A" and "1B" respectively.

As far as the Team name thing goes, we'll never agree on just one. It's just the nature of the fire service beast. One purpose - ten names!

I like the sound of FAST better, but RIT is much more descriptive.

Here's something to think about.  I heard from one of the CT Fire Academy Instructors that was teaching my RIT class that there was a company in CT that decided to call their team "Firefighter Assist and Recovery Team" till they realized what the acronym for that would be, "FART"  Thought you all would like laugh.

Did you hear the other one they told us? "Special Hazard Intervention Team"