Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest x2371

FDNY Chiefs' Union Pres Says Don't Volunteer

40 posts in this topic

quote TSCULL

I was a career FF in one town who was burned at a fire in my vollie dept. in my hometown. I was covered by my hometown's worker's comp. plan and I went non line of duty medical leave from my career FF job just as if I had gotten the flu or broke my leg skiing.

So whats your point ? Volunteer insurance fund will pay you almost nothing and your real job takes a hit. less guys working while you recuperate. :rolleyes:

Edited by pjtm4

quote TSCULL

I was a career FF in one town who was burned at a fire in my vollie dept. in my hometown.  I was covered by my hometown's worker's comp. plan and I went non line of duty medical leave from my career FF job just as if I had gotten the flu or broke my leg skiing.

So whats your point ?  Volunteer insurance fund will pay you almost nothing and your real job takes a hit. less guys working while you recuperate. :D

Actually, you are incorrect. My spot was filled by overtime. There was no drop in manpower. In fact, whoever worked the overtime didn't have to go bang nails to earn a days pay while I was out. I was on non-line of duty medical leave, just as if I had the flu or broke my leg off duty, and the vollie town worker's comp made up what I lost in night differentials and emt pay. That's my point. Can you tell me you have never taken a sick day which makes "you're real job take a hit, less guys working" so that you could work on the side, play golf, or do something with the family? Don't roll your eyes at what I decide to do on my off duty time.

people should not "roll their eyes" at their union president. Get out of the union if you are going to do "your own thing"

people should not "roll their eyes" at their union president. Get out of the union if you are going to do "your own thing"

I'm being a bit dramatic here, but this is starting to sound less like a union and more like Communism. How many people out there reading this have rolled their eyes at either the current or last president? Should those people leave the country?

Its starting to sound less like a union and more like a cult if you can't make any of your own decisions.

Can you tell me you have never taken a sick day which makes "you're real job take a hit, less guys working" so that you could work on the side, play golf, or do something with the family? Don't roll your eyes at what I decide to do on my off duty time.

YES TSull I can tell you I never called in sick to play golf or do something with my family. I never called in sick for any reason in 16 yrs on the job. I don't know where you worked but I am sure glad it wasn't in my dept.

I'm being a bit dramatic here, but this is starting to sound less like a union and more like Communism. How many people out there reading this have rolled their eyes at either the current or last president? Should those people leave the country?

Its starting to sound less like a union and more like a cult if you can't make any of your own decisions.

You can make decisions. It is are you going to make decisions that benefit just YOURSELF or that could benefit a lot more people, a group of people, like a UNION LOCAL. The bottom line in NYC is to get a DECENT contract, a DECENT salary raise so the "BROTHERS" in the FDNY will earn somewhat close to what the suburb locals earn (which is where a PERCENTAGE volunteer)

P.S. definition of UNION - an organization of workers formed to advance its members (plural) interests especially in respect to wages and working conditions.

You can make decisions. It is are you going to make decisions that benefit just YOURSELF or that could benefit a lot more people, a group of people, like a UNION LOCAL. The bottom line in NYC is to get a DECENT contract, a DECENT salary raise so the "BROTHERS" in the FDNY will earn somewhat close to what the suburb locals earn (which is where a PERCENTAGE volunteer)

P.S.  definition of UNION - an organization of workers formed to advance its members (plural) interests especially in respect to wages and working conditions.

This is an age-old topic. What any person does on their off-time is THEIR own business. This is not a Communist society. How selfish to not allow a man or woman serve their own family and community through the volunteer fire service. Any Firefighter who brings their training and ACTUAL fire ground experience from their job to their community should be applauded!!!

Being a professional firefighter does not just mean bearing a pay check every 2 weeks and riding around town with a red IAFF sticker. Professionalism is in your attitude, the way you work, the way you operate, the way you train. It means absolutely nothing to someone if you are ON THE JOB and all you do is park yourself on the couch, change the channel every 2 seconds, and complain how bad you have it.

The fire service is rich in history and tradition and the age old bologna of this type of nonsense will unfortunately continue. What Pres. Gorman should worry about is getting his membership a contract, and not worrying about this nonsense that comes up every couple of years. And all the critics out there should make them self better and more productive rather than compaining and worrying about what others do on their OWN free time..... THIS IS AMERICA HOME OF THE FREE!!!!

God bless the lost brothers of 9-11

TIme to knock the cr$% off.....If you are a vol. then what the union does or says is not your business and if you are a union FF. and don't like what the union says or stands for then simply quit...end of this story...If

This is an age-old topic.  What any person does on their off-time is THEIR own business.  This is not a Communist society.  How selfish to not allow a man or woman serve their own family and community through the volunteer fire service. 

Being a professional firefighter does not just mean bearing a pay check every 2 weeks and riding around town with a  red IAFF sticker.  Professionalism is in your attitude, the way you work, the way you operate, the way you train.  It means absolutely nothing to someone if you are ON THE JOB and all you do is park yourself on the couch, change the channel every 2 seconds, and complain how bad you have it.

What Pres. Gorman should worry about is getting his membership a contract, and not worrying about this nonsense that comes up every couple of years. And all the critics out there should make them self better and more productive rather than compaining and worrying about what others do on their OWN free time..... THIS IS AMERICA  HOME OF THE FREE!!!!

God bless the lost brothers of 9-11

1st of all ,it is Pres. Gorman's right to say what is best for the entire Union- If his members are out there as volunteers, how can he ask for a raise for the members.

it's like if your getting the milk for free, Why buy the cow?

What would be said if a number of town or village residents were to go thier local dpw and go drive snow plows when it snows, as volunteers. :P

and I think you are very misguided if this is what you think FIREFIGHTERS do when they go to work, on NIGHTS,WEEKENDS,HOLIDAYS etc... They are Away from their Families. Volunteers pick and choose when and if they want to respond To calls.