Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

telescoping green light?

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me the history and or the reason behind a single green often telescoping light on command and or field comm. units ?

Can anyone tell me the history and or the reason behind a single green often telescoping light on command and or field comm. units ?

It started on the west coast with the wild fires it was a way to advise in coming units of the command post location. no w with the use of the I/C/S of NIMS system it has been used all over the place now the north east is playing with it too.

Mine doesn't telescope, I just sit it on top of the arrowstick. I turn off every other warning light, so all you see is the green light.

It works great. Everyone on the fireground knows exactly where the Command Post is.

Friday night, every body who came on the fireground who needed to go to the command post, came right to my car, no one had to ask where it was.

Definitely makes sense.... Just look for the Green Light and the guy or gal with the silly hat.. This is in ur case 2441.. With the NIMS in full stride, ICS is a neccesity that we tend to forget.

Looked professional, pretty much all that counts and also is practical. Especially considering how dark the scene was Friday night.

All of the battallion cars down here in FL have them, never knew what they were for, but now i do.

I believe Bedford Hills FD Rescue 10 has a green strobe on roof facing up to show command post. :D

The best suggestions I've heard for green light use for CP marking are:

1) No permanent mounts!-the ability to move the light, and therefore the location of the CP, gives flexibility to the IC.

2) Get a mag-mount strobe with a loooooong cigarette lighter cord. Makes sense.

3) When establishing command, announce how the CP is marked. Make sure incoming units/titles that need to report to you know this too.

4) Tell your local VACs to shut their personal vehicle lights off when on scene. Those darn whackers.

5) Telescoping portable mounts and tripods are available-does it make sense for you to use one?

6) Finally, there is a deployable helium-inflatable marker system in use-basically, a lit balloon. Now, if you can get one, use it, AND hang a banner from it with the date of your next pancake breakfast......