Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY New Satellite 1?

25 posts in this topic

i posted this a few days ago but the message just dissaperared but i was just wondering why is sattelite 1 is getting a new rig from ferrara while the mack rig is only 3 yrs old.and would the mack satellite become a spare?

They aren't. The Satellites being built are for Satellites 2-6.

oops, my bad. Well, the JFK Hosewagon needs to be replaced. As does the one for LGA. Who knows, you'll probably see one of the old ones replacing them. Thanx for the correction TB.

I have a feeling that the 2002 Sat 1 will replace Sat6, and I hear that the best remaining 1993 Satellites will be retained as Spares. I do know that the JFK hosewagon needs to be replaced. Not sure about the LGA wagon @ 316, I haven't heard any rumblings about that one.

I have a feeling that the 2002 Sat 1 will replace Sat6

Sq288_Hm1 There is a new Sat 6 which has already been completed.

Sq288_Hm1  There is a new Sat 6 which has already been completed.

I have not seen any photos of this, I know Ferrara had originally displayed 6 FDNY orders, but are down to 5 now.

Sq288_Hm1  There is a new Sat 6 which has already been completed.

Done by Ferrara as well? It hasn't been delivered yet has it?

I can remember who's post it was I think someone from Pleasantville pertaining to their new truck anyways it was a link to under construction Ferrara's on that link you could see all the new satellites in progress. Try finding that post to see them.

The Satellites are on the way up from Ferrara's plant. They wanted to get them out of there before "Katrina" hit!!

Had a girlfriend named Katrina once.......what a B!Tc#!!!!

The new one's are here!!!! Not in service yet but they look great from what I hear, Ferrara wanted to get them out before the storm

Sat 2 still has their old Mack, I was detailed there a few days ago. They haven't gotten a new Sat. yet

Hey there guys. Totally know nothing about FDNY's wide array of fire apparatus (minus obvious ones...Squads, Ladders/Tower Ladders, Pumpers, Rescues etc...) Please fill me in what the Satellite vehicle does.;) I have seen pics of a few of their Satellites with no real knowings of its operation(s)/function(s). Thanks for any and all info!!! :blink:<_<

A satellite is like a muliti purpose unit. It's a high pressure pumper with a manifold for mulitple hose lines, a foam carrier, a hose wagon, and high pressure deck gun platform. Maybe someone from a Sat. unit can give you more specifics since I'm only assigned to a regular engine company ;)

Thanks a lot Joeyfire! I had seen the big deck gun in some of the pics, and assumed that played some role in its job function, just really didn't know any of the specifics, as many rigs have deck guns. Thanks for the info though, definitely gives me much more knowledge than I had a hour ago! ;) Thanks again for tolerating my ignorance :-P

A satellite is like a muliti purpose unit. It's a high pressure pumper with a manifold for mulitple hose lines, a foam carrier, a hose wagon, and high pressure deck gun platform. Maybe someone from a Sat. unit can give you more specifics since I'm only assigned to a regular engine company  ;)

The Satellites are the third step in the evolution of the old Super Pumper System from back in the 60's.

A Satellite Unit is not a pumper. It does not have a pump. The Engine it is associated with is rated at 2,000 GPM. The six associated Engines are not high pressure pumpers. The Satellite is a hosewagon that carries a manifold for use of multiple hand lines. It is not a Foam Carrier. However it does carry a certain amount of foam cans and a foam inductor(eductor??) if needed for Foam Operations. It carries Large Diameter Hose. Not sure how many feet of 3, 4, and 5 inch it carries. Its most obvious characteristic is the large Stang Intelligiant Deck Gun. It also carries various reducers, adapters and other hose connections. If memory serves me, I believe Satellite 2 also carries fittings for some Westchester Departments. The Satellites respond with the associated Engine(or back up) on all Second Alarm or greater fires. Any All Hands Doubtful in Staten Island. Any Foam Operation. Certain Street and Bridge Boxes. Or, when special called by an incident commander. Side Note, the back up Engines are rated at 1,000 GPM. I think that about covers it.

Edited by JBE

Thank you for adding that additional info JBE, I never got the pleasure of actually seeing the Sat in action except for the Tanker truck fire on the Bruckner and they were only using it for foam operations. That sucker can sure make a mess!

Satellite 2 has been in service since the 10th or 11th. we shot it on the 13th, along with Sat. 4. its first run was to the 4th(I think it was a 4th), on Saturday the 12th.

Mike

I stopped by E324 last week and took a look at the new Satellite 4. They seem to look ok to me, I actually like it!

Mike, any idea on where the old Sat's are going? Alot of rumors are floating around.

I was told they will be spares, 1 or 2 are to be disposed of. The old ones no longer have the Intelligiant Stangs, so I don't know if they could actually become spares.

I'll shoot ya a PM. I dont want to list where they're going on a public forum.

Mike