Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

American LaFrance Sold!

19 posts in this topic

From a press release just posted....

I thought ALF was doing well for Freightliner. Definetly unexpected news by me. I wonder what this will mean for ALF, and all it's related chasis and products.

FREIGHTLINER TO TRANSFER OWNERSHIP OF FIRE AND EMERGENCY VEHICLE OPERATION

(9/7/2005)

North America’s leading commercial vehicle manufacturer, Freightliner LLC, today announced it intends to divest its American La France fire and emergency services manufacturing business unit.

Based in Ladson SC, American La France (ALF) was acquired by the Freightliner organization in 1995 as part of a corporate expansion.

ALF is the country’s fifth largest fire and emergency services vehicle producer with a heritage dating back 173 years. It currently operates six manufacturing facilities and five owned dealer locations across the US and has a workforce of approximately 1,200 hourly and salaried employees.

ALF produces and distributes a comprehensive line of fire and emergency apparatus including chassis, aerials, ambulances, pumpers, rescues and tankers.

Freightliner LLC President and CEO Chris Patterson said that, as part of DaimlerChrysler, Freightliner continuously reviews its product portfolio and business operation and that, as part of this review, has determined that the fire apparatus business will not continue as a core business of the group in future.

“While the company has been driving improvement programs in recent times and we believe the American La France business has growth and profitability potential, we also believe this potential can be better realized by a company that has a focus on ALF’s core markets.

“As a result, we have been in discussion with a number of parties who have an interest in acquiring the assets of ALF and several organizations have emerged as likely investors.  Further details will be released as we near a final deal.”

“We recognize the hard work and commitment of the American LaFrance workforce and management. ALF will continue to require the services of an experienced workforce and capable management.  Of course, Freightliner intends that all current market obligations will be fulfilled, as well as ensuring that current customers of ALF continue to receive the service and support that they have come to expect.”

He went on to say that while the successful buyer would be expected to acquire ALF’s manufacturing and distribution infrastructure, the Ladson facility was not part of the sale and would remain a DaimlerChrysler asset.

The company intends to utilize the 460,000 sq. ft. plant and office building, situated just north of Charleston, for other purposes in its commercial vehicle business. 

A total of 528 Ladson-based direct and salaried jobs will be affected.  In addition to around 400 hourly-paid workers these jobs include engineering pos manufacturer of commercial vehicles.

Edited by x635

This may be a blessing in disguise for ALF. Freightliner really never provided ALF with the Marketing Support it truly needed to move up in the ranks of the Leading Fire Apparatus Manufacturers. It would be interesting to hear who is in line to purchase ALF. Could another competitor that maybe is # 4 or # 6 or # 7 in the Marketplace, could purchase the assets of ALF, and add ALF to their portfolio and bring more "Diversity" to their lines.

I would like to see KME buy ALF and combine efforts to be a True Force in the Fire Apparatus Industry. Anyone else have any insight on this, with ALF being sold off by Freightliner.

Wait, Hebe leaving Seagrave......American Lafrance being sold, maybe we have something here???

I wonder who will buy them?

Edited by x635

Hmm, maybe they will start making quality apparatus, and people will start calling them something other than american la trash.

I think Hebe is the odds-on favourite. He's a businessman who understands the fire service. Best of both worlds as far as I can see.

its just not ALF that was sold it was also the Condor cab/chassis, which is the cab over truck that is used for alot of trash trucks, see FDNY's "Spirit of Oklahoma" collapse rescue that chassis. A little more from whats floating out there. Also the same players are staying with ALF and just transfering to under this new owner. This is just another case of a company changing hands like Pierce I think they were sold and bought like 3 times in the last 10 years, its all business.

Hebe already worked for American LaFrance, and from what I understand, I dont think thats going to happen. Im changing my guess to either E-One or a private party...

private I believe because what has has trickled down have been told that the new owners do not have pre existing distribution/dealerships and do not sell fire apparatus. So that would lead to beleive it is a totally private company not in the business at the moment. So Hebe is a possibility becaus esince they bailed from Seagrave there are no in the apparatus business but there are some other companies out there. Example the company that purchased Hackney they were an outsider to trucks until they purchased them. Guys even the "insiders" are being left guessing at the moment.

Why don't the ALF workers organize and make it a totally new entity?

From what I've read when Jim Hebe left ALF and went to Seagrave he burnt his bridges behind him.

From what I've read when Jim Hebe left ALF and went to Seagrave he burnt his bridges behind him.

Thats a fact....

And dont think that Seagrave is doing so swift at the momment...

Thats a fact....

And dont think that Seagrave is doing so swift at the momment...

IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE NEXT TO FALL.

In all likelyhood, LTI will probably be picked up by Crimson Fire Apparatus and RD Murray will go back on thier own as they have been looking to do for some time now. As far as the cab and chassis division goes, I believe we've seen the last of them. I may be wrong, but we'll see...................

No way, the name's worth too much. I don't know who's going to make the product, but there will be a truck maker called American LaFrance. Someone will buy the name if it comes down to that.

Guys actually RD Murray will become one of the primary facilities it sounds like they will be going down to 3 facilities RD, Casper and LTI. The offices sound like they will go to LTI since they have the room. The Charleston facility in the current market is worth alot more as an over the road assembly line. No one spends millions and millions of dollars to close down a business. And remember Pierce has been bought and sold plenty of times and it is still around strong.

Just remember all, ALF has been bought, sold and consolidated with other companies and also being on thier own through out their 125+ history. My company still operates a Century series pumper built in 1981 when Figgie owned the company and it set to be replaced soon, though not with another ALF, that's another story.

Who knows what will happen, but I can see what happened after Figgie had done to the company and how Frieghtliner bailed them out all over again if the buyers don't do it right.

Hahn, Maxim, Pirch and Young are gone for ever and Mack saw a loosing market. Hopefully we won't loose anohter single source manufacturer go by the wayside.

Hahn, Maxim, Pirch and Young are gone for ever and Mack saw a loosing market.  Hopefully we won't loose anohter single source manufacturer go by the wayside.

The companies that exist today, whether it is Pierce, KME, Seagrave, etc no longer have the people working for them that made most of those companies a success. Most of the employees today are there to just collect a paycheck, American quality is dying!

Since receiving TL40, I have gotten a deep lesson in what we did not look at when choosing the truck, a KME. The truck is a beautiful truck, clean lines, something you are proud to look at and own. We have had some problems, some serious requiring it to go back to KME or spend some time at our local repair shop. Collectively, this truck has been unusable for over 8 weeks since we received it in May. The problems are not the issue with me, it is a complex truck which will have some bugs to work out. The problem is KME itself. They are set up to build trucks, not deal with them once they leave. Because they do not have a team to deal with the details and problems that the assembly crew leaves, you have to search in the company to find someone who actually knows something

about the problem you have, not an easy task in a company that large and spread out to a number of facilities. That is the reason the truck was out of service for so long.

Now you might say that KME is a new company to fire apparatus, but from other people I have talked to, it is really not to different in the other companies. The "old timers" are retiring and leaving the company in the hands of employees that do not have any interest in providing a quality product. It is pretty sad if you ask me!

Thats shocking to hear I would not think that would happen to ALF. I hope that this does not mean the end of the company. I hope this does not happen to KME because they build good quality fire apparatus. I am sorry to hear that BCFD is having problems with TL-40 I am sure all the mechanical problems will be solved. Today there are only a few remaining manufactorers of fire apparatus, and it is sad to see ALF being sold they have been around 125 years, I dont think ALF is going to go out business, they are too strong of a company to go down like that

When It comes down to it - all firetrucks are man-made machines. They will ALWAYS have issues. Especially when a new design/change is made. I've heard all the names and abbreviations for all the apparatus companies (American La-F***-up, KME= Keeps Mechanics Employed, etc) but when it comes down to it, all these apparatus being built are by definition "custom," so whos to say that Part "A" and Part "B" will always work together without any issues, when every department is ordering different configurations. It's not just firetrucks - it happens on cars too. Take the new Lexus/Toyota Hybrids (RX400H/Highlander). I talked to some of the people that I used to work with at Lexus, and they said these things are coming back with problems left and right.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yeah, ALF is sold, but, look at the history. Because of a few flops with a new design, people are turning their backs on a manufacturer that has been putting out quality machinery since well before I was born. S**t happens - I'd be willing to bet that the ALF name will still be on firetrucks for years to come.