Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Indian Point

12 posts in this topic

I was reading another thread on here (http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=5680&st=0) and I came across a post that said Indian Point was not in Buchanan's first-due area. Whose is it? And is there a on-site fire brigade? I think I read once that there is a plant out in Jersey that has a paid on-site brigade?

Thanks all.

I believe that there might be some shared responsibilities for I.P. but if I recall, the facility is technically Verplank's first due... I could be way off, but I think that Entergy donated a significant sum for Verplank to purchase their Bronto Skylift.

Some of boys from the Tri-Village should be able to shed some light on this.

Indian point is covered by Verplanck. Its alittle iffy going down braodway were the line splits the 2 departments. yes they have there own fire brigade

Indian point is covered by Verplanck. Its alittle iffy going down braodway were the line splits the 2 departments. yes they have there own fire brigade

I'm guessing that the brigade is made up of plant employees who have other jobs at the facility, not a paid, seperate group? I'll try to find that article I had read about the paid fire service at another plant.

BTW: cant beat the response to the question...within 7 minutes I had two replies. NICE job guys!

Edited by 23piraf

I think I read once that there is a plant out in Jersey that has a paid on-site brigade?

It's not Nuclear, but there is a sizable Chemical Plant (name slips my mind, DuPont perhaps?) in Rockland (Nanuet I believe) that has it's own on site HazMat team and fire brigade. They are available for mutual aid to other agencies in the county. We used them a while back (like 10 years ago) after a fire at RPC that got to some backup batteries in the basement of one of the buildings and released some toxic fumes. Assessing a dozen or so nut jobs was an experience.

it is covered by Verplanck That side is Verplancks out to lens cove and the other side of the road to the Cementry is Buchanan. I belive the fire bagade is worker that have other job in the plant.

That is why are truck are green 1 trips to indian point lol

the brigade is made up of a various group of working plant members,they vary from security officers to other persons who may work in different sections of the plant. they do train on a frequent basis and are pretty knowledgable of the plant and its systems. some of them are involved with the hazmat section becaue of their experience in the plant they are an asset to the brigade. pretty impressive fire systems, they don't hold back spending $ for safety.

IP is acutually located in the Village of Buchannan, but it's in the Verplanck Fire District. Its another one of those weird unanswered questions that lie in Westchester County!

Another interesting note, although the plant is located squarely in the Village of Buchanan, all Law Enforcement activities have been taken over by NYSP since 09/11/2001. Prior to that, V/Buchanan Police Department had jurisdiction. NYSP currently maintains a minimum of one Trooper on the site 24/7, and from 11pm-7am, two Troopers.

That is correct- the dividing line is right down the center of broadway- the sub-station, gas turbines etc are in Buchanans' district and the Nuclear side is in Verplancks' district. The Verpklanck Fire department was established before our Department so they handled some of the fire protection in that area within the Village boundaries. ( this was when Indian Point was an amusement park, not a Nuke plant). So when Buchanan Fd was formed, Verplanck had already annexed Indian Point into there district, but the property remains within the Village of Buchanan. We are on a 2nd due response per an agreement we sign every other year with Entergy. And that is correct, they have their own on-site fire brigade and haz-mat. We have some members that are on the brigade.

Another interesting note, although the plant is located squarely in the Village of Buchanan, all Law Enforcement activities have been taken over by NYSP since 09/11/2001. Prior to that, V/Buchanan Police Department had jurisdiction. NYSP currently maintains a minimum of one Trooper on the site 24/7, and from 11pm-7am, two Troopers.

It's good to hear that the State Police are up there in addition to Plant Security.

I remember watching News 12 once and they were doing a report on the plant, and during the live broadcast, a Trooper pulls up and chases the reporter away, saying it was a restricted area or something to that effect. (I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was hysterical.)

Edited by 23piraf

I remember that as well. Big guy in big Ram Charger/Tahoe/whatever, pulls up right behind the reported and jumps out just as the video cuts to the studio. :D