Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Photos of Classic FDMV & YFD Rigs - GREAT!

23 posts in this topic

What can be said, other than "Pictures Says It All" What Great Photos and Memories from the Latest Set Of Photos From the J J Pinto Collection, of Classic Rigs from both Mount Vernon and Yonkers FD's past. Who can't forget the Famous Mount Vernon Snorkel Truck !!! And Yonkers Very First Tower Ladder (that was out of service more than in service, if I remember correctly). Also, the Mack C Pumpers from both Mount Vernon (Engine 6) and from Yonkers (Engine 311, but if my memory serves me correctly, this was the Old Engine 7 [Engine 4 also was a 67 Mack B, but the Single Rotation Light on Engine 4 was ALL RED, and ENGINE 7's was CLEAR]). If Seth can ask Mr. Pinto if he has any more of these in his collection to share with all of us, that would be a TRUE TREAT for everyone. I would like to hear from others, on what they think of these "True Warriors From Days Gone By" ???

where was the pic of E318 taken? it doesn't look like any Yonkers FH I have been to.

thanks, Mike

where was the pic of E318 taken?  it doesn't look like any Yonkers FH I have been to. 

thanks, Mike

The firehouse is currently still standing in Yonkers.

I know where it is do we have anyone out there that knows...

on the sides and top of ladder 78 those were for riot protection. covers the firefighters from flaming missiles, bottles,and rocks

Here is some of the Answers to the questions raised. 1) The Photo of Engine 318 was taken from the Old Station # 2 on Vineyard Avenue, which has long been closed (Rig was an 1956 Ward LaFrance). Was a Reserve Rig when photo was taken. 2) Ladder 78 (Old 1954 American LaFrance Mid Mount), had the "Woody" Cap on it. These were placed on all of the Open Cab Rigs still in service back in the 1970's when all the Riots were going on and regulations mandated that all Open Cab Rigs be retrofitted with Caps to protect the men during runs (PS - That shot of Ladder 78 (Reserve Ladder) was taken on the Corner of Palmer Road and Central Park Avenue. I hope that is information was helpful

where was the pic of E318 taken?  it doesn't look like any Yonkers FH I have been to. 

thanks, Mike

The firehouse is currently still standing in Yonkers.

I know where it is  do we have anyone out there that knows...

It's the "old" Station Two on Vinyard Ave. Used to be the home Engine 2 and Truck 2.- A "classic" fire House in it's day.

The Only Old YFD Stations no longer active that are Still Standing is the Old Station # 2 on Vineyard Avenue (used to house Engine 2 and Truck 2 [aka Engine 302 and Ladder 72] and the Old Station # 8 on Walburon Avenue (used to house Engine 8 [aka Engine 308] next to the New Station 8. The Last Station to be Closed and Torn Town in Yonkers was the Old Station 3 on Riverdale Avenue that was replaced in 1971 with the New Station 3 on Vark Street. If my memory serves me correctly, this was the Station set up back in the early 1970's (When Yonkers FD had its Maximum Amount of Apparatus covering the city at any given time):

Fire Headquarters (Station 1 - New School Street) - Engine 1, Truck 1, Rescue 1

Station 2 (Vineyard Avenue) - Engine 2, Truck 2

Station 3 (Riverdale Avenue) - Engine 3

Station 4 (Radford Street) - Engine 4, Truck 4

Station 6 (Oak Street) - Engine 6

Station 7 (Central Avenue) - Engine 7 and the Repair Shop

Station 8 (Walburton Avenue) - Engine 8

Station 9 (Shonnard Place) - Engine 9

Station 10 (Saw Mill River Road) - Engine 10

Station 11 (Bronxville Road) - Engine 11, Truck 3

Station 12 (Fortfield Avenue) - Engine 12, Truck 5

Station 13 (Kimball Avenue) - Engine 13, Truck 6

Station 14 (Central Park Avenue) - Engine 14, Truck 7

That's confusing...

As a former member and Captain of Eng. Co. 6 in the FDMV I see that the pic of it shows E6 assigned a Mack C. From 1970 through the early eighties E6 was assigned a 1970 Mack CF. The C's were assigned to E1, 2, and 3. E4 and E6 were 1970 CF's and E5 was an open cab B from the fifties.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two apparatus shown were flipped with each others numbers. In the eighties apparatus were shifted to load balance the fleet. Hence the flip-floping of numbers.

Notice the turnout gear on the engines. The tail end of the volly days in the FDMV. Also the "back-step' straps... (I miss riding the backstep :o )

The picture of Snorkle 1 was in front of Ladder 3's bay on the S. Fulton Ave. firehouse. In the beginning Snorkle 1 replaced Ladder 1.

Edited by doug_e

YonkersR3, Back in the 70's I recall Station 9 having Truck 9. I dont recall a Truck Co. out of station 2. I do remember Engine 305 working out of that Station for a short period of time.

Doug E - Thank you so very much for the insight on FDMV back in the 70's. It was refreshing and very interesting. I, too, miss seeing "SNORKIE 1" around Mount Vernon. It served the city very well and was well used. Too bad it was never replaced in FDMV with another Snorkel Unit. As much as I like the Mack/Baker Tower Ladders, I would rather see a Snorkel Unit back serving Mount Vernon. I also believe you were correct with the Mack C unit. I think that FDMV did some sort of Switch on the Numbers. Wasn't Engine 6 Running out of Headquarters for a period of time, with this Mack C Unit? (The other Mack C was being used as the Foam Unit for a period of time, if my memory serves me correctly). Your thoughts?

The rig shown in the picture as Engine 6 was actually the first diesel powered fire apparatus in Westchester. It was also the first automatic for FDMV. Similar 1964 Mck CF's were originally assigned to Engine 3 and 4 were gasoline powered and sticks.

The Engine #6 Mack went on to serve as the foam truck for a number of years.

Well, that explains it! Engine 2 was long disbanded before I started venturing up your way! thanks for the answer guys!

Mike

Wasn't Engine 6 Running out of Headquarters for a period of time, with this Mack C Unit?

Actually that photo of the Mack C E6 was taken in front of it's home - "470" (aka HQ). I think I mis-wrote that the E6 Mack CF was a 1970, I believe it was a '68.

And, thanks for catching my typing dyslexia...Snorkel just didn't feel right as I typed it...

Actually that photo of the Mack C E6 was taken in front of it's home - "470" (aka HQ). I think I mis-wrote that the E6 Mack CF was a 1970, I believe it was a '68.

And, thanks for catching my typing dyslexia...Snorkel just didn't feel right as I typed it...

Dyslexia ? Snorkel NEVER seemed right anyway....it was always "Truck 1."

Gotta Love "Old Snorky" in Mount Vernon. It served the City very well during its lifetime. Understand it may now be down in South America somewhere? So did Engine 6 (Then Foam 1). The Mount Vernon Fleet of Apparatus back in the 1970's and Early 80's was one of the best around. Yonkers also had some really great rigs back in the Late 60's, 1970's and Early 80's as well (The Fleet of ALF Tillers were superb, especially "SUPERTRAIN" Ladder 73). The YFD ALF Engines in 1971 were also very good. (Although those Compac/Continentials we can all forget)

YonkersR3,  Back in the 70's I recall Station 9 having Truck 9. I dont recall a Truck Co. out of station 2. I do remember Engine 305 working out of that Station for a short period of time.

Truck 2 moved from Station 2 to Station 9 on March 16, 1972. On March 10, 1975, the numbers of the truck companies were changed to the same number as the engine company it was quartered with. Trucks 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 became Trucks 1,9,11,4,12,13,14.

On March 10, 1978, the apparatus numbering was changed "to conform with the numbering system of the County". At this time Ladder Co. #1 became Ladder Co. 71, Ladder Co. #9-Ladder Co. 72, Ladder Co. #13-Ladder Co. 73, Ladder Co. #4-Ladder Co. 74,Ladder Co. #12-Ladder Co. 75, Ladder Co. #14-Ladder Co. 70.

And yes, E305 was quartered in Station 2 from Oct. 1979 until Sept. 15, 1980 when Station 2 was closed. It then went to Station 1. JJ Pinto's photo recently posted on this site shows E305 across from Station 1. I remember its powerful Detroit Diesel engine climbing the hills with ease.

Gotta Love "Old Snorky" in Mount Vernon. It served the City very well during its lifetime. Understand it may now be down in South America somewhere? So did Engine 6 (Then Foam 1). The Mount Vernon Fleet of Apparatus back in the 1970's and Early 80's was one of the best around. Yonkers also had some really great rigs back in the Late 60's, 1970's and Early 80's as well (The Fleet of ALF Tillers were superb, especially "SUPERTRAIN" Ladder 73). The YFD ALF Engines in 1971 were also very good. (Although those Compac/Continentials we can all forget)

I think its down in the Dominican Republic.

To Batt 2 - Great Piece of YFD History. Thank you very much !! Was I correct in stating that Engine 305 was the Old Engine 2? That "Fin Cover" across the back of the rig was a classic. ALF had great rigs back then. Was that '71 ALF the Only 71 ALF Engine Company running in Yonkers at the time. I remember the 2 '68 Mack C's (Engine 4 and 7 if my memory is correct). Finally, was the Old Ladder 2 (I believe it was a 70 ALF Mid-Mount") ever Ladder 1 (Before the '72 ALF White Cab Arrived?) Can you validate this for me? Thanks

To Batt 2 - Great Piece of YFD History. Thank you very much !! Was I correct in stating that Engine 305 was the Old Engine 2? That "Fin Cover" across the back of the rig was a classic. ALF had great rigs back then. Was that '71 ALF the Only 71 ALF Engine Company running in Yonkers at the time. I remember the 2 '68 Mack C's (Engine 4 and 7 if my memory is correct). Finally, was the Old Ladder 2 (I  believe it was a 70 ALF Mid-Mount") ever Ladder 1 (Before the '72 ALF White Cab Arrived?) Can you validate this for me? Thanks

Yes, That was old E2. It was the only front line ALF Engine at that time.

The 68 Macks went to E1 and E4 initially.

That ALF Mid-mount was a 1967 and it was originally T1- I'm not sure where it went afterward...

Thanks - Was The 1968 Mack C That Was Engine 1 (Which I believe then went to Engine 7), the last time Engine Company 1 was a Front Line Engine Company, before it was disbanded (I believe that the '68 Mack C for Engine Company 1 replaced the 61 Ward LaFrance Closed Cab, that I believe might have gone to Engine Company 8?) Am I possibly correct on these?