Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billfitz

Yonkers pre-bid

13 posts in this topic

City of Yonkers to hold pre-bid meeting end of Sept. - bid opening set for end of October for 2 rear mount ladders and Heavy Rescue

When will the new Squad unit be in?

Thanks for the info Chief.

I wonder if the current status of ALF will affect the bidding process on either end?

As much as I like the Yonkers ALF's, I'd love to see a couple of Pierce Arrow XT's cruising the city, lol.

ALF and Campbell Supply won the Bid on Squad 311. It will be interesting to see, given the recent situation involving American LaFrance and Freightliner, if Campbell Supply is able to win the bid. Knowing Yonkers past success with SMEAL as it relates to its rear mounted ladders (Ladder 72 and Ladder 73), I would think that SMEAL would have the inside track on the 2 Rear Mounts out to bid. I would suspect that SMEAL would go again the the UT100 Model. I don't believe that SMEAL offers a HEAVY RESCUE RIG? (Can someone confirm that for me)? If they did, I would think SMEAL would "go for the whole bid". Otherwise, I would like to see Yonkers maybe go with a Spartan /Marion Body Works Heavy Rescue or an E-One/Saulsbury Heavy Duty Rescue. Any other thoughts out there?

ANYTHING BUT THE E-ONE/SAULSBURY rescues!!!!

Exhibit A - FDNY Rescues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

you'd be hard pressed to find all 5 in service at the same time.

As far as my knowledge goes, and I'm sure there are several people on here more knowledgable, one of the reasons why Smeal won the bid and ALF did not was due to the greater angle/grade ladder jacking specification which was unique to the city....ALF could not meet that spec and Smeal was one of the very few who could and bid. As far as my hopes with the ladders, which I know won't happen but I can still hope.....an ALF Tiller!!

As far as the E-One/Saulsbury, there is no more Saulsbury. E-One ate them and destroyed them. In my opinion, I know the Yonkers FD apparatus people will choose what works best for the city and will be looking far beyond the superficial brand......and will choose something that will serve the city well. As far as my hopes, I'm hoping that will be a Pierce Arrow XT!!

Let's not unreasonably speculate and let's listen and discuss the accurate information presented!! :o

Edited by x635

Excellent Point Sq288. Those Rigs have been spending alot of time out in Queens at the Repair Shop. Maybe, along with the Spartan Rescue, maybe a Pierce Walkaround

Good Point ! I am sure that Billy Fitz and the People at YFD have it covered and will certainly accept the bid that meets their specifications and is the lowest cost, to save the taxpayers any unnecessary additional costs, and last but MOST IMPORTANTLY a piece of apparatus that will serve the City of Yonkers for many years to come. No speculation needed, just the BEST AND THE LEAST EXPENSIVE

Heard a rumor about a bid going out for a new tower ladder. Is one of there's up for replacement, or is this rumor just nonsense?

The public notice in the paper a few weeks ago was a RTA (request to advertise) - the actual bid won't go out for a few weeks yet .

Chief Fitzpatrick - Is the bid being planned for, going to replace TL 71 or TL 75 ? (Can I presume it would be for TL 71, since it is the older of the 2 Rigs and if true, would then the current TL 71 go and then become TL 77 Spare and thus that Mack Baker TL would then be sold?) Thank you in advance for your assistance to my question.

Could there be a possibility of putting a THIRD tower ladder in service in the city? Something having to do with the proposed ridge hill development maybe?

As far as my knowledge goes, and I'm sure there are several people on here more knowledgable, one of the reasons why Smeal won the bid and ALF did not was due to the greater angle/grade ladder jacking specification which was unique to the city....ALF could not meet that spec and Smeal was one of the very few who could and bid.  As far as my hopes with the ladders, which I know won't happen but I can still hope.....an ALF Tiller!!

As far as the E-One/Saulsbury, there is no more Saulsbury. E-One ate them and destroyed them. In my opinion,  I know the Yonkers FD apparatus people will choose what works best for the city and will be looking far beyond the superficial brand......and will choose something that will serve the city well.  As far as my hopes, I'm hoping that will be a Pierce Arrow XT!!

Let's not unreasonably speculate and let's listen and discuss the accurate information presented!! :D

As far as the Smeals are concerned, it's my understanding that Smeal totally went back to the drawing board and designed a rig just for YFD, turning radius, overall height, one set of "A-frame" style jacks and one set of out/down jacks, not sure what other manufacturer would redesign an aerial device??.

The E-One/Saulsbury comments are funny to read with most not knowing what situation Saulsbury was in before being purchased, from what i've heard, they were not going to be around long anyway, so it sounds like E-one just prolonged the inevitable, it's not easy to do business in NYS, just look where most of the other major manufacturers are located.

it remains to be seen what type of product comes out of ocala with Saulsbury tags on them, first few i've seen look pretty good, and are still available with Spartan chassis.