Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Croton Trying to Get Training Center

8 posts in this topic

Croton firefighters seek training site

By ROBERT MARCHANT

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 21, 2005)

Village firefighters want a place of their own to hone their skills.

Fire Department leaders are looking to take a small parcel of woodland off Riverside Avenue north of the village's skate park and turn it into a place where they can simulate the conditions in smoke-filled buildings and wrecked cars.

"We don't get many fires in the village, thank God," said First Assistant Chief Gary Diggs, who oversees training in the department. "But that can be a hazard — the volunteers don't get the exposure they need."

Diggs met with village leaders recently to discuss a proposal to build a small facility for firefighting training. The proposal calls for clearing the land off Riverside, which is owned by the state Department of Transportation, and erecting a small metal structure that could be filled with artificial smoke for volunteers to simulate conditions in a house fire. A separate concrete slab would be used for vehicle extrications.

Diggs said the volunteer department was willing to perform all the labor to clear the land to keep costs down. With donated services and labor, he said, a training facility could be operational for a few thousand dollars. Diggs said large shipping containers or other metal, prefabricated structures could be used to create the training center.

Westchester County offers the use of a firefighting training center in Valhalla, but Diggs said it can be difficult to schedule time there. A facility in the village, the chief said, would make it more convenient for members to train, and it could be used in conjunction with neighboring departments.

The small parcel of land was taken over by the state DOT when it carried out the reconstruction of nearby Route 9 in the late 1960s. The department hopes the DOT can work out a deal turning it over to the village or the department for use at a nominal cost.

A DOT representative said the agency was looking for more information on the project and was amenable to the concept.

"Right now, it's going through the review process," said Michael Cotton, an assistant regional director with the DOT. The agency is asking for a site plan and specific information on how access to the parcel would be achieved.

"At this point, we don't have a problem with it. Now the ball is in their court," Cotton said.

Mayor Greg Schmidt said the concept was worth exploring, and the village administration was also asking for more details on the proposal — particularly financial ones.

One volunteer, John Cestone, liked the idea of a local place to work on firefighting techniques.

"We're pretty well-trained, but it never hurts to go over certain procedures," said Cestone, an electrician.

This is a project that has been discussed for several months that Chief Diggs has been pushing. Those of us on the Department Training Committee think this would greatly increase our skills in many areas. We aren't trying to build anything mammoth, we are simply trying to get a designated area for a couple of work stations. Over the years, we have run out of places to train in the Village. To me, this would be a key place to do it, considering it wouldn't affect anyone plus we would be in the view of our public. Perhaps this could help (even if it is a small help) to recruit some new members.

From what I gather, we are aiming to create our own mask confidence course and install a "pad" to do vehicle extrication on. I hope we get the support of the Village as well as DOT. It would be nice to have this to supplement the great resources we already have at the County Training Center.

On a side note - Chief Diggs is also aiming to take our training up a notch in the upcoming years. We already have discussed some plans to keep our guys and gals interested and well-versed. The #1 downfall to a five Company Department is the five different ways of doing things some of these knuckleheads do. I hope to see more of a "department mindset" with all of our operations in the future. I know we got the members that are willing, able and dying to get things on track!

here's my 2 cents

PLease dont say that the Counuty Traiining Center isnt giving you enought time or it's hard to get time there--- thats just not true. I do nt know of any Department that has been turned down for training time. period

If Croton what to train in their home town thats different by all means go ahead. If the Chhief wants to bring his department to a higher standard-bring then along on stages.

All should have Fierfighter 1, then Firefighter 2, FAST, Survival all should be from State level courses. Work from there.

Dont forget physicals, hep shots, how about Haz mat first responder, WMD all avaiable at the training center.

just my thoughts

I do not believe the chief ever said that the FTC doesn't give enough time, i believe he was just getting at the point that its difficult for his dept. to find time that fits their dept.'s schedule as well. However, if there were a facility in Croton, it would be a lot easier b/c there wouldn't be the hassles of scheduling and making everyone's schedules work together.

Also the facility wouldn't be for live fire; it would just be for search evolutions vehicle training and other operations so as far as moving in stages, well of course you need some classes you listed above, but you do not need all those classes. Im sure the chief knows what hes doing!

PLease  dont  say that  the Counuty Traiining Center isnt giving you  enought time or it's hard to get time there---  thats just  not true. I do nt know of any Department that has been turned down  for training time. period

Pelham manor lost 2 training days this year, one in Aug the other in Sept. we had the times and day for over a year. when called to confirm we were told that they needed it for other things. The sept date was given away cause Mt. Vernon needed it so guys could get ready for a physical test.

I believe the idea of a training center in our back yard is great. But we have to utilize the facilities that we have available right now as well. Look what is happening to the NYS FIRE ANNEX at Camp Smith, attendance is not where it should be! And the future doesn't look to good for the site. I have taken numerous classes there, and also have had classes cancelled dur to poor attendance. This shouldnt be happening...We should be using it as much as possible, this goes for the County Training Center. I am very proud of a the CFD for trying to get this State land to use for training, and I hope it goes through, but if we don't use what we have now, whats the point of having the county and state facilities...

Edited by 1191stdue

I believe the idea of a training center in our back yard is great. But we have to utilize the facilities that we have available right now as well. Look what is happening to the NYS FIRE ANNEX at Camp Smith, attendance is not where it should be! And the future doesn't look to good for the site. I have taken numerous classes there, and also have had classes cancelled dur to poor attendance. This shouldnt be happening...We should be using it as much as possible, this goes for the County Training Center. I am very proud of a the CFD for trying to get this State land to use for training, and I hope it goes through, but if we don't use what we have now, whats the point of having the county and state facilities...

ok ok maybe some departments have lost a day or 2 during the year.Scheduling can be a problem at times. Please dont take this the wrong way I dont want to offend any one nor am I criticizing any department--- but training so you can say you trained isn't training, you have to use the latest training tools and devices along with updated teaching methods.

The County has spent a lot of money to update the Training Center and is investing more money into Capital projects for even more improvements. Just a thought maybe the money could be used to send firefighters to State or FEMA courses reimburse the members who earn a certificate. There are a lot a department can do to improve them selves Again I dont mean to critize any department but I have seen a lot of "firefighters" that dont know the adz end of a ax from a pike pole, never mind knowing firefighter safety and survival

well our issue was that it was canceled 3 days before the drill. we all know that schedules change, but not when you had it down for over a year then we call and comfirm and we get a "oh ya it is not available" thats what the issue i had was. now i love the county and we use it to get some hands on expeirience, and also to see how guys work together and think in diffrent situations. but when you lose live fire training cause Mt Vernon needs to practice for their physical, thats a little bit of a lame excuse.