Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SQUADco119

We Should Be Able To Critique Incidents In The Workshop

13 posts in this topic

I'm going to repeat myself once again here. I don't provide this forum, nor do I post the photos, so people can critique the incidents. More often then not, this leads to a bashfest or negative comments being made, and members making the comments do not have all the facts.

Yes, it was done respectfully. I don't think a majority of the members of this forum, and members and officers of the individual departments would be in favor of a "Incident Critique" forum solely based on photos of the incident.

And yes, "We learn from our mistakes", but generally the mistakes are known and not intended to be made. More people would probaly focus on the negative side of things then the learning aspect, as has been shown here and in the past.

Some things will be allowed from time to time, based on the situation, but generally NO.  The negativity and other issues on this board are difficult enough to manage, without opening up a whole nother avenue for it.

If you feel differently, that goes for anybody, feel free to make a post regarding this issue in the Network Headquarters forum to discuss this further.

;) Emt bravo i see your point but myself being the fact im from croton and worked at the fire i do think it helps me/us to crtique the call. We all make mistakes that we might not see that someone else does. basically what i dont understand is this is incident workshop right , my guess would be thats what this area is for to have a workshop on the incident to critique it maybe im wrong but if so i disagree with no hostility just think that this helps us learn from what we do wrong and what we do right. why allow compliments and not an observation on what was wrong it didnt seem like bashing at all if it was im sure 585 would of took it that way instead he wanted to learn about it and critique it. In no way am i telling you how to run your site at all. Just like to hear everybodys opinions!

As I said clearly in my original comment that is quoted above.........

How can someone "critique", or comment on an incident properly without having a complete set of correct facts??? THAT is the issue.

Incident Critiques should be held at the department level, with those actually involved in and familiar with the incident. Incident errors should be discussed and worked out in training classes as well as with your local Fire Instructor or Training-Safety or other company officer. Departments should also work together to help each other with their mistakes.

At this time, unless some members are able to make a case strong enough to convince me, I do not feel that opening this forum to let random people who may or may not be involved with the incidents critique them would be beneficial. More often then not, people use rumors, what they heard on the fire radio, their opinion or bias, or what they saw in the photos to comment on incidents. It is also not the role or point of this forum to second guess the incident commander. And my feeling is that most departments and members who visit this site wouldn't want this either

Please click here to read the "Statement On Site Content" for further information

As usual, open to comments, but not likely that the position of this forum will change regarding this issue.....

What about a two or three day period to critique an incident? Once that period is over, case closed. Fire today, after wednesday no more critiquing (sp?). It will be seen quite fast the nature of members critiques, whether they are factually based or pulled out thin air. It might also lead to some incite as to why the incident commander made certain decisions. my 2 cents.

While you can't judge an entire operation from one or even many pictures, each of those pictures in an absolutly accurate account of what was going on in that location at that time. While an actual critique forum would be difficult to maintain, it would require alot of attention from the mods, it could and more importantly should be done. The ability to analyze our mistakes and learn from them is the single greatest resource this site can provide. If you see something in a photo or hear something over the radio, you should be able to ask why or how or what ever. The way I see it, so long as it remains a question and answer type environment, it would be relativeely easy forum to operate all things considered.

Critiquing becomes bashing. Personally, I think Jack Webb said it the best, "Just the facts..." State the incident and then let it go, just for the sake of simplicity.

10 sets of eye's see 10 different things, they say a picture is worth a thousand words they never said if those words were good or bad. If someone wasn't there it's likely an opinion. If they were there it could be bashing but maybe they are right, what is everyone affraid of. If you don't want anyone to say anything about you, take some classes or crawl under a rock.

Critiquing becomes bashing. Personally, I think Jack Webb said it the best, "Just the facts..." State the incident and then let it go, just for the sake of simplicity.

I have to agree with this. While a critique of an incident on the department/unit level is helpful, it eventually evolves into the bashfest. I can't think of how many times we think an incident is going just fine on our end, when some muckety muck picks apart everything we do/did. However, I do agree with the idea of posting lessons learned from the incident. Especially if it will avoid problems later on.

I think its a bad idea...It will just fuel the morons who have nothing nice to say.

Constructive criticism or bashfest??

Could it be that people just don't like to be disagreed with.

Who will say what the lesson learned is, the people involved or someone looking at a picture or a post??

Whats next the FCC on emt bravo!

People should stand behind there actions not the delete button.

Dont forget we are all only human and all make mistakes.

If someone from anywhere makes a comment good or bad and one person learns from it, than it was worth it.

Constructive criticism is good but we all know what that leads to online. Too much opinion without good first hand knowledge of incidents can fuel that fire as well. I think its a good call to keep the critique to the dept level and off here, as they would be the people directly related to the scene and know where they went right or wrong.

The problem with critique on this board is you do not know where it is coming from,people with the most to say ( about fireground ops) are not even firefighters, I would not comment on a police incident I'm a firefighter and know nothing of there SOP's. What I am trying to say is what might look like a bad choice by a member or chief might have been in the best intrest of safety or a deparments SOP's. Don't bash,fill out your profiles and don't hide behide your computer talk like we were all sitting face to face in the same room

Maybe a good time to critique a fire could be during a live chat like the one hosted by Truck 4 recently. Members can be notified of the date and time of the live chat and members of the departments that were on the scene can take part. This way a moderator can control the bashing, and keep the discussion a learning experience.

The EMS pepole in the county meet every week or so at the traing center to go over the calls. mabey something can be set up that way. any and all chiefs can detail what happened and why they did things the way they did. We can all learn form them. We can look at the situation and mabey help them in return.

just a thought