Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

OFD Structure Fire

13 posts in this topic

On October 4, 2005 Ossining was dispatched to 61 Charter Circle for a structure fire. What did it turn out to be? Croton FD TL-44 on stand by, and OFD dispatcher relayed " working fire". No FAST ?? What happened?

The fire turned out to be contained and a great save by the Ossining Fire Department. It was an office in a lower apartment of the complex. Good Job by the Ossining Fire Department!

Congrats on the good stop O-town i wasnt really sure myself what it was cuase i didnt here any updates.

Structure Fire - 51 Charter Circle

On: October 4, 2005

The Ossining Fire Department responded to 61 Charter Circle for a reported structure fire. Firefighters found heavy smoke and fire in the apartment. The flames were controlled quickly. Apartments above and to the sides were vented. One firefighter sustained a minor injury and was treated by O.V.A.C.. Thanks to the Briarcliff Fire Department for the use of their Cascade truck. Pictures to come

TAKEN FROM

www.ossiningfire.com

I heard it was a computer on fire or something... Anybpdy have anything further?

what is up with the radio system? the new UHF system does not work very well.

yeah, there def. must be problems, didnt pick up anything...

Form what I hear there are problems on the top of Charter Circle with hitting Towers Especially Briarcliffs. 2331 also had problems calling control and Ossining FD HQ to request TL 44 to be put on stand-by.

Definately agree with you guys about the radio system. You could hear the frustration in the voices of Car 2331, 60-Control & Ossining. It just seemed like nobody could hear one-another. I was only able to pick up bits and pieces, it was very choppy. But as stated, i think Charter Circle may be a big part of the problem. It seems to be a tough area for communications. That housing complex happens to be on the lowest part of Highland ave., however the buildings are up on a hill. Therefore, transmissions may bounce around between towers?

Might want to consider putting repeaters in the chief cars like Millwood has. One of the chiefs just switch it on when they have a call and it fills the dead areas.

Great Job Ossining...as always

I know that at least one definitly has one I believe its 2334, I don't know about the other 2. All of them youst to when they had the Expedition and the Caprice Wagons.

For those considering repeaters in multiple vehicles, remember that if more than 1 are turned on at the same time, they cancel each other out.... SO when the Chief's in Millwood roll up to a job, the first Chief on the scene is supposed to turn on their repeater, in addition when the mark themselves onlocation to 60 Control, they announce that their repeater is on so other inbound Millwood OR mutual aid chiefs/apparatus that may have them too are aware.

The OFD vehicle repeaters are no longer used. They are still in the three Chief's Cars and E97, E99, & E101. If you notice at most if not all OFD incidents the Chiefs will more often than not be operating with their low band portables, not the UHF portables which provide access to the vehicle and local tower repeaters.