Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Fire Dept Email

8 posts in this topic

Whos dept offers its members email addresses? I was curious to find out because some fd sites have member log in names. And if you do how often do you use it or is it for dept use only?

Thru our website, we can create an e-mail box for anyone we want. The Department doesn't offer anything (thus far), but at least on the company level we have something.

sounds like a good idea and perhaps maybe a good membership benefit

Two issues I've come across w/ this topic:

1) If your website is in any way the 'official' site for your Dept there often are discussions to NOT include a members section as excluding the public from a village/town/county agency's info is not deemed acceptable. I don't agree w/it but that's what I've run into putting together a site for my Dept.

2) This one will get you - a lot of members do not want to be part of any service where their email address might be 'public' to any level. It's bizzare that many members steer away from a very good communications tool!!! It drives me nuts.

Last frustration - you can go through putting together a decent site and as soon as you have the framework set up the trail of content dries up. If any site is going to be sucessful it needs current content which means people actually taking the time to contribute.

You're right!!

Our site has been up for a little over two years now. I setup e-mail boxes for everyone initially, and over time knocked it down to those that actually use them. This number - TWO!!!

As for the content - I hear you 100% I am an avid web-buff, and most of the sites I visit don't get updated nearly as often as they should. Our site, which is setup through firehouse websites, is updated BY US between 4-5 times per week. It's a pain in the a** sometimes, I won't lie, but it makes it worth visiting.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

PS - is there any PCFD sites?

Two issues I've come across w/ this topic:

1) If your website is in any way the 'official' site for your Dept there often are discussions to NOT include a members section as excluding the public from a village/town/county agency's info is not deemed acceptable. I don't agree w/it but that's what I've run into putting together a site for my Dept.

2) This one will get you - a lot of members do not want to be part of any service where their email address might be 'public' to any level. It's bizzare that many members steer away from a very good communications tool!!! It drives me nuts.

Last frustration - you can go through putting together a decent site and as soon as you have the framework set up the trail of content dries up. If any site is going to be sucessful it needs current content which means people actually taking the time to contribute.

You should consider setting up a separate site apart from the village, town county official site. This way you maintain full control over any content and regulate its use. If you set it up with a public and member only section, set up links on the official sites to your sites pulic area. The village, town, county will have not complaints with this method.

In the member only section, set up alias's for each member with the ability to forward to there email address. This will give each member a common FD address that is easy to remember. You can also set up a check list to sent to multiple members and/or group alias's to sent to all or special groups. These addresses should be private.

yeah you have to search through the village site, www.portchesterny.com if i can find a better link for you i will post it later.

yeah you have to search through the village site, www.portchesterny.com if i can find a better link for you i will post it later.

Found it:

PCFD Here