Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

West point working fire

6 posts in this topic

Anyone have more info on the West Point fire today?

I've been told it was a fire on the roof of the old library, caused possibly by workers working on the building. My source from Cornwall Storm King says heavy volume of fire on the roof. Needed lots of manpower to handle operation, extended. Sounds like a great stop at the West Point Academy.

Man, i just had a class with Jerry Knapp (West Point EM Officer) last night lol. Too bad last night was the last night, now i can't get the good details lol!

Sounds like it was a good job by the WPMAFD and M/A companies. Sounds like it could have been alot worse if they hadn't got a handle on it so quick.

119stdue:

hey what type of workers this time.... Roofers... using torch applied systems ???

back in 1982 when I worked at west point FD we burn't the roof off of the posts gymnasiums office. the fire was started by "workers" using a torch. it was a bout 99 degrees out and we cut the hell out of a flat gravel roof. held it to the roof above the office!

Edited by hudson144

West Point fire will cost $20K

The fire that damaged a portion of the U.S. Military Academy's special collections and archives library left roughly $20,000 in damage, but historical documents stored in the building were unharmed, officials said yesterday.

Mike D'Aquino, an Academy spokesman, said the cause of the blaze in a crawl space of the library's fourth floor yesterday remains under investigation, although he did say workers were on the roof using soldering devices earlier in the day.

"We're very early in the process," D'Aquino said of the investigation and damage estimates.

Among the items spared in yesterday's blaze were antique maps and manuscripts being used for research purposes, as well as a letter written by Alexander Hamilton, left out on a table near where the fire started.