Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mike172ny

County Airport-Inbound AC with Problems- 10-29-05

8 posts in this topic

Date:10/29/05

Time:2000

Frequency: 46.26mhz

Units Operating: E59, E60, E64. L31, R40, 2391, 2392, 2393, Purchase FD, Armonk FD, County Truck 11, 7.

Description Of Incident: Inbound Aircraft in distress

1959- Airport 11 to 60 Contol requesting a response for Aircrft

2000 - Port Chester, Purcahse, Armonk toned out to respond to Westchester County Airport for inbound Aircraft in Distress.

2004- all Port Chester Units and Purchase units on the scene at the airport.

2004- 60 Control advises that 2391 is the IC

2005- 60 Control Advises that Aircraft has a gear problem with 9 people on board and 5500 lbs of fuel on board a private Jet.

2006- Aircraft cleared to Land Runway 34 at westchester.

2014- By orders of 2391, all units can go 10-8 aircraft on ground saftley.

Writer: Mike172ny

Edited by mike172ny

Just curious as to why 2391 was the IC of this incident. Unless something has changed recently, Airport 11 or Airport 7 has command of any aircraft related incident on airport property (which this would be...i.e. potential for a crash landing on the runway due to landing gear trouble). The local FD's take command of various components of an aircraft related incident such as staging, water supply, triage, etc...but do not become the IC of the overall incident unless for some reason Airport personnel relinquish command to them.

On the other hand, if the call is structural in nature, such as an automatic alarm or building fire, the local FD's automatically take command upon their arrival on scene.

Edited by emt301

I believe the first arriving cheif as I have been told, from either of the 3 jurisdictions winds up taking command of the response, as Armonk and Purchase tonight were both at prior calls, 2391 wound up taking IC. Obviously since the county told him he was anyway I don't think ap 11 would be IC regardless of who arrived first, could be wrong but I dont think so.

You can not be the IC if your on the crash truck,out of radio contact.

Upon arrival airport personnel briefed 2391 & 2 of the incident and all apparatus were staged as the Pre-plan states.We were in constant radio contact with airport crash truck, prior to airplane landing.

Plan went very smoothly last night.

the plan calls for :

1-Chief as IC with airport supervisor,

2-2nd chief gate control

3-3rdChief EMS triage

Structure related,non-aircraft incidents, or-Off airport incidents the jurisdiction that the incident is in, is in charge .

FYI-landing gear indicator light on,plane did fly- by gear was down ,unable to verify if locked,therefore,the response.

What type of staffing does the airport have on their rigs?

usually 1 or 2 guys, that work operations during the normal day. Its not like they have their own fire department. so If they are driving the cars around the airport and theres a aircraft in distress they have to race back to the terminal to pick up the crash trucks.

Are the trucks considered ARFF trucks? such as the one in my avatar? Or some other type of crash rescue truck? If they are, shouldnt they be able to handle the incident on there own with the local FD for back up? Thats they way its run at the airport i flyout of in Daytona. Four crash rescue trucks are called out for any emergency, and only if need be, extra eng or 2 from the local FD

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Actually if the incident occurs on the airport grounds, how the response plan is set up is that the incident commander is always the airport emergency response officer (from the crash truck) that is on location at the time of the incident. The three primary responding fire departments (Port Chester, Armonk and Purchase) get dispatched together for a mutual response. The first arriving chief takes control and command of the ARFF gate, the second incoming chief takes command of the fire suppression, and coordination with the incident commander on the accident scene and the third chief begins EMS command with a triage and transport officer. There is communication from the crash trucks, they do have 46.26 on their radios.

If there is an incident outside off the airport grounds, then obviously whichever town the plane crashes in has incident command. The crash trucks may very well respond to the incident if it oocurs close enough to the airport, but they are just resonders and have no command.

If it is a structural fire on the airport grounds, then the crash trucks have no command, and whichever district that the building's is in has command