Followers 0
FF402

Body Found Week After New York City Fire

8 posts in this topic

Body Found Week After New York City Fire

11-10-2005 11:43:22 AM

By PETA HELLARD and ERIKA MARTINEZ

Courtesy of New York Post

November 10, 2005 -- The body of a 37-year- old man was discovered in a shuttered Queens diner yesterday — a week after firefighters put out a small blaze in the building.

The FDNY is awaiting autopsy results to determine if the man was there before the fire, and possibly launch a probe into whether firefighters should have found him.

The man, whose identity was withheld, was found propped up on a shelf inside a walk-in refrigerator at the Saravan Diner at 146-01 Northern Blvd. in Flushing at around 11 a.m., sources said.

On Nov. 1, firefighters put out a small arson blaze eight feet from the refrigerator — but didn't find the man during two searches of the building.

Early this week, fire marshals visited the diner to find the cause of the blaze, but they had no reason to search the building beyond that, sources said.

A crew cleaning out the building stumbled on the body yesterday.

According to police sources, the man's hair and hands were singed and authorities are probing the possibility he was killed before the fire and the small blaze was set to cover up the murder.

Another theory is that victim set the fire and got himself trapped in the diner.

Looks like that situation went from cold to hot.

Edited by cas2383

nyuck nyuck nyuck

Some guy is dead and it is real funny huh??

Any further info??

Edited by CAM502

It's unfortunate the gentleman has passed on. However, humor like this helps people in our profession deal with the stress/sadness of death.

And before you mention, "Well what if it was a relative/friend/loved one???" There are people, myself included, who would make some kind of humorous statement to ease the tension and lessen the hurt. We all deal with it in different ways. BTW my first fatal fire as a dispatcher, the deceased jumped from the floor above the fire floor. 10-45 code 1 becomes 10-45 code splat!!!

More importantly, I wonder how this guy went for a week without being found.

As Ricky Ricardo once said, "You got some 'splaining to do..."

Edited by JBE

Like nobody here EVER made a mistake.

And yeah, I've screwed up.....never like THAT, but.......

Besides, in the city, what's another body, anyways.

Not like there's any shortage of corpses lying around there.

Wow, makes them sound less valuable when you put it that way!