Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stepjam

Veteran's Day

3 posts in this topic

In my village today, as in thousands of others, there was a memorial and wreath laying ceremony to honor our veterans past and present. I was asked to bring my Cub Scout Pack to participate in the event, and was very pleased that twenty seven of my boys showed up, in proper uniform.

The Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club was there, as were a surprising number of local active duty military personnel. A number of other men present sported small mementos or articles from their past service, as I did by donning my well worn and tattered old cover. Most of the men ranged in age from 20 to 60, with the current military and Vietnam Vets well represented.

Standing way in the back, the Rolling Thunder vets still had that haunted look that all combat veterans have whenever the past comes back to them. They stood together in their heavy leathers, and I thought about what it was that brought them so close together as a tight knit Motorcycle club, aside from the love of Motorcycles. At first glance, they had the intimidating appearance of a motorcycle gang, but looking at their faces I could see that they were a Band of Brothers, the misunderstood veterans of America's most widely misunderstood war.

Seated up in the front were the Second World War Veterans. Just behind them were the Korean Veterans.

Many were frail, some were wheelchair bound, but all who could stood proudly for The Pledge of Allegiance, which my boys led. It wasn't the California version either: "ONE NATION-UNDER GOD" was clearly pronounced by all. After the wreath was laid, the Cubs presented each old Veteran with a red Carnation boutonniere as a symbol of remembrance and gratitude.

What really brought it home to me was when the Legion Post Commander summoned the wives of the old veterans who have missed the ceremony for the first time this year, and are now gone forever. Each elderly lady in turn stepped up and bravely accepted the boutonniere in remembrance of her husband. Later, I explained to my boys that all of those people were once very young, and looked forward to their own futures just as they do now. Kids just tend to see old folks for what they are now. So many gave their youth away in far off foreign fields.

There are fewer old veterans each year. One thousand per day pass on, and very soon they will all be gone. Their generation made sacrifices that ours can't quite comprehend. We owe it to them, and to our children, to know their story and remember their sacrifice. I hope that ceremony continues every year, even after every veteran of every war leaves us forever.

Well said!!!!

Great passage! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I also must add, all year around should be the time to reconize these fine citizens. Many of them are lonely, or in poor health, and just a little companionship and show of appreciations goes a long way, they really treasure their past. Even a short converstation can reveal some amazing stories from the years gone by, many of which we can all learn from.