Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

Latham FD?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any information on the Latham FD?

What do you want to know? They are a 'sister' department of ours. I am a Shaker Road-Loudonville fire department Explorer. Both dept's are part of the Town of Colonie, NY.

Latham just bought a BEAST of a KME rescue. It has a crane, zodiac boat, 3 light towers, 4 on board generators, winches, a compliment of Holmarto tools, a compliment of Vetter bags, and a ton of other stuff.

Latham also has a collapse trailer and 2 pick-ups. A 100' Midmount KME tower ladder, and 3 engines. They also have an EMS Ford Expedition and a smaller squad type rig.

I can get you some pics of their rigs if you would like. Let me know.

to be honest their rescue caught my attention. i got a chance to see it at the syracuse convention over the summer. the october edition of FIRERESCUE magazine features of nice pic of it on the back cover. what goes on in/around latham for them get such a "monster" as you put it. its longer then TL-53 and looks like it has a great deal of equipment on it.

They say that it was so they could consolidate the old R4 (which was 1/4th the KME's size), Sq 4 and the Collapse trailer. None of this has been done yet, and many think it won't. Usually the manpower is not around to staff the rig and they only roll with 2 or 3 firefighters. Also, R4 is 1st due to auto extrication's, and 4th due to all structure fires. The only time the rescue is REALLY used, is when they go mutual aid for a collapse or similar incident. They usually get called out of the town, mostly because all but 2 of the 12 departments in the town, have a rescue.

To be completely and totally honest, some believe that it was so they could have the biggest rescue in town. ;)

As soon as it was delivered, our department began making plans for a new Pierce rescue. One bigger than R4.

If you want a pic I just found a website that has a picture of Latham's KME rescue

www.cnyfiretrucks.com

Go to Albany County and click on Latham