Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Chester Height fire horn-can anyone help?

9 posts in this topic

Ok so I was down in Eastchester last night, in the Chester Heights area for those who know, and around 0115 I heard a fire horn go off and then I heard the sirens on the responding units. I've heard this before. Does anyone know where this horn is? I've also heard it go off at 1800. I'm guessing Pelham???

thanks!!!!

It probably either Pelham, Pelham Manor or maybe Larchmont. Those are the three closest departments that would likely have a fire horn.

Last night at that time and at 1800 during the week is Pelham. We went on an alarm to the north end of the Village which is why you also heard the apparatus sirens.

We still use our horn regularly, despite some complaints from Village residents. Pelham Manor has an "air raid" type horn that was not used for several years but i have heard it fairly recently a few times to alert members of calls. As for Larchmont, im not sure about theirs. Maybe DRD could answer that.

thanks guys for the replies...I was thinking Pelham because I heard the sirens following the horn.

Shantz, does the horn just sound the signal that their is an alarm somewhere or does it sound differently for different alarms?

The horn puts out a Box number. For Pelham, it is three digits long, using only the first 5 digits (1,2,3,4,5). For a highway entrance, the last number may be a 6,7, or 8 however these are usually not transmitted. The tone of the horn does not change based on the type of call.

To properly determine what box is being blown, you count the number of times the horn blows with a short silence between blasts. The longer silences indicate a break in the numbers.

The box is transmitted twice and is primarily a back up system for those who are not with their pagers or who are currently in a dead zone within the Village.

Larchmont is the same, it blasts the box number twice. Only used for full alarms in response to neighborhood complaints, its pretty loud.

Larchmont is the same, it blasts the box number twice.  Only used for full alarms in response to neighborhood complaints, its pretty loud.

does Ossining still have theirs?

Ossining still has their horns. Holla Hose-Lafayette Ave.,Independent Hose-Campwoods Rd, 16 Croton Ave.

Ossining still has their horns. Holla Hose-Lafayette Ave.,Independent Hose-Campwoods Rd, 16 Croton Ave.

Thanks! hey, which company are you with - thought maybe I know you. . . . . .