Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

Governor's Island Fire Protection?

20 posts in this topic

Did FDNY put any fire units on the island or do they take the ferry to the island if and when they have a call. I do know the Gov FD is gone off the island. Any info please post it Thank You

From my website:

Governor's Island is part of the borough of Manhattan.

FDNY Reserve Engines 519 (SP02013) and 525 (SP9375), Reserve Ladders 709 (SL9104) and 710 (SL9103) are located there. Additionally, Governor's Island houses 3 Engines, 1 Tower Ladder and 1 Brush Fire unit.

Two of the pumpers and the TL are ex- US Coast Guard.

One of the pumpers is ex-E34, Ex-E257 - It's a 2002 American LaFrance Eagle/R.D. Murray (ALF). 1000/500. (AP02001)

All are under the command of Division 1/Battalion 1.

If there was ever a fire on the island, I believe additional firefighters are transported by fireboat to the island to staff reserve apparatus. I think there is also a system set up in which apparatus is transported by ferry.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

What I was asking if the Island has a staffed company at all times on it by FDNY as i know the coast guard department was closed well over a year or so ago. When FDNY took over the Island they had a unit with 1 capt 3 lts and 10 ff's as a staffed unit is it the same or did they put a full company in yet.

Generally there is 1 captain, 3 lieutenants, and 10 firefighters on the island at all times.

So this got me thinking: what is a full company for FDNY? one captain and 3 or 4 lieutenants?

So this got me thinking: what is a full company for FDNY? one captain and 3 or 4 lieutenants?

I think 133 Engines are 4 FF's and an officer and 64? Engines have 5 FF's and an officer.

Ladder Companies run with an officer and 5 firefighters. If the Truck is running with 4 firefighters, usually the OV position is not filled.

Squad Companies run with an Officer and 5 Firefighters.

Rescue Companies run with an Officer and 5 Firefighters.

Chiefs Units have an Aide and Da Chief.

Edited by Sq288_HM1

If there is a job on the Island, I believe it is Manhattan Box 8204. Units are transported either by Marine 6 or Marine 1, and by Ferry. Or at least that is how it was before I transferred out of Manhattan a few years ago.

There is one officer and 2 firemen assigned to Governors Island at all times.

Well, I kinda asked my own question wrong. I was thinking in terms of what does each company have. I know its one Captain in charge, but how many Lieutenants under? Also, who is the tiller man in a tiller company?

BTW: Squad 288, thanks for that reply. Didn't know that about the Trucks running short.

Each company has a roster of 1 Captain, 3 Lt's and upto 25 FF's give or take.

Hey TBendick, doesn't the EMS response plan for the island involve the crew hopping on a subway with all their equipment? i remember reading that ridiculous plan somewhere...

The Crazy subway plan is for Roosevelt Island.

Both Governor's Island and Roosevelt Island have reserve ambulances stationed on them. Roosevelt Island has the bus stored at the firehouse (SOC). If the bridge is up and gets stuck, EMS takes the subway onto the island and SOC picks them up and brings them to the firehouse to staff the ambulance. They can then remove the patient via, subway, tram, helo, boat.

Governor's Island was staffing one FDNY EMS unit during tour hours when the Governor's Island FD was still out there. Since FDNY took over and now they have the CFR' out there I think they stopped all of that and now just have the reserve ambulance out there. Not sure if it's in the warehouse or firehouse. The pre-plans for EMS aren't that good for Governor's Island, pretty much they don't have any.

Ran into this problem with liberty Island, Guy hanging from the side. Marine 6 was used to bring the chiefs over, Marine 1 used for Rescue, Engine and Ladder. Had to fight to hold Marine 6 for the bus. Makes no sense to send over all this without sending EMS with it.

So there are some plans to deal with these Islands, some could be better.

I uploaded some photos if anyone want to take a look. There are from prior to FDNY take over. Only FDNY units working the Island at the time was EMS.

http://nycfire.net/gallery/album50

Edited by tbendick

Generally there is 1 captain, 3 lieutenants, and 10 firefighters on the island at all times.

On Governers Island ther is one officer and two firefighters on duty. It is a special detail. Most of them have more then 10 years on the job. With the exception of one or two.

Does FDNY cover all of Liberty Island? Or only part of it now that NY lost the fight to have Lady Liberty considered in NY?

Those are great shots of Governers Island. I'm amazed at how well maintained all the buildings look despite being abandoned? Have any more shots??

A few last questions: where did the apparatus come from?

Former Federal Fire Dept?

What kind of rig is "Engine 1"??

How did they come up with the numbers, is there no Ladder 1, or Engine 2 in the rest of the city, that can't be?

The photo's you see are from about a week or two prior to FDNY take over. At the the time of the photos GI was still being covered by the Feds.

Now that I look back I wish I had taking more photos that day. Some of the buildings were in great shape and others falling apart. I was able to get access to a few homes which I would move into tomorrow if I could. On the other hand the sports building which had a large gym was in bad shape due to water damage from the roof. The new hospital never opened and is sitting as is. There are a few new apartment buildings on the island. It's a shame that the island is vacant at this point. IF you look at map the island is cut in two sides, one new and one old. When any work starts they can't touch anything on the side of the road that covers the old side of the island which has the forts and stuff.

Those are great shots of Governers Island.  I'm amazed at how well maintained all the buildings look despite being abandoned?  Have any more shots??

A few last questions: where did the apparatus come from?

Former Federal Fire Dept? 

What kind of rig is "Engine 1"??

How did they come up with the numbers, is there no Ladder 1, or Engine 2 in the rest of the city, that can't be?

The numbering was the original numbering for the CGfd located tehre, I guess they just kept them. I meet a guy while applying for FDNY dispatch that was a firefighter there befroe they closed up and that was their numbering system. I beleive they ran 2 pumpers, a Pierce aerial tower and a small resuce if I remember my conversation with him. I'm uncertain though.

The engines they had there were KME's I believe. This was also 1993 when I was stationed there. The Truck is a Pierce. One of the engines was transferred to the yards in Curtis Bay, Maryland, soon after the Coasties moved out. I don't know where that Lime Green one came from. Looks to be either a Pierce or an Amertek. Engine 2 does not exist in the FDNY numbering system. Engine 2 was disbanded in the 70's and its firehouse now quarters Rescue 1. The ALF is the demo model that was operating out of Engine 34 and Engine 257, before it went to GI. Since the rigs never left the island, they rarely came over on the Manhattan frequency unless they were requesting help. When they did it was always "Governors Island Fire to Manhattan, K."

JBE.

After the Feds closed the CG station they removed the two KME Engines that had the Top Mount Pump panels. The one you see was sent to them and there was another one in a warehouse. The Mini Attack was replaced by the FDNY Brush unit, not sure what happened to the Mini. I know they guys missed it because you could drive it into one of the old forts unlike the brush rig.