Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Truckie93

Painting Leather Helmets

12 posts in this topic

I have a Leather New Yorker that I've had for years and it's always been black. Although I like the black it is now, higher ups in the dept feel it should change colors come the new officers next year. I was wondering if there was any special technique, paint, or info needed to safely paint a leather New Yorker. Thanks to all!

Rust-oleum Paint can says Do Not apply to sufaces that exceed 200 degress F ,,however I have heard of this paint being used on Leather NYers.

Cairnes uses Sherwin - Williams Paint

Edited by Firemn2742A

Thanks alot!!! That site was great and it had all the info I needed. Thanks again!

Rustolium is bad. I did it and the paint didn't stay. Rustolium doesn't withstand heat athe temps we are in stuctures with. Your better off looking at the Firestores website and get the paint cairns recomends. It was only $6 when I bought it 5 years ago.

Use the paint currently recommended by the manufacturer. In addition, follow the instructions for prepping the helmet very closely. If the helmet isn't cleaned and the surface preped properly, it doesn't matter what paint you use, it will peel, flake, or fisheye.

I've seen a few do-it-yourself re-paints that came out looking pretty bad due to lack of prep work.

Also FYI, I believe you can send your helmet back to Cairns and they will refurb it for you in whatever color you specify. Not sure of the cost because it's been a few years since I knew of anyone doing it, but I feel like $75 plus shipping is a familiar number.

There is a guy in Manchester CT that refurbs new yorkers and sams. www.signal50.com He does a good job and aqlso gives advise. I meet him at one to the CT State fire conventions over the past few years.

Just BUFF FYI - Signal 50 is the CT state fire code for a Fire Department full assignment response.

=)

send it back to cairns, they will refinish it for you properly , and if anything ever happens they will stand behind the job.

In the "old days," we used to take a ride out to Cairns and take the helmet right into the afctory for repair. The rep would say go get a cup of coffee and come back in an hour.

I have a Leather New Yorker that I've had for years and it's always been black.  Although I like the black it is now, higher ups in the dept feel it should change colors come the new officers next year.  I was wondering if there was any special technique, paint, or info needed to safely paint a leather New Yorker.  Thanks to all!

Then SCREW EM'!!!

Just get a white shield or somethin' It's your helmet and if you like it black keep it black (unless it's a strict dept. policy)... besides it shows you never forgot your roots and lead by example (use that as your excuse)!

As a jake I would have more respect for the LT/Capt/Chief that kept his black helmet and just changed the shield than I would one with a shiny new white one...

for christ's sake you dirtied it over the years... could you imagine how long it would take you to turn that white helmet black again!?! :D

Rich

FF/EMT-P

It's easier to ask for their forgivness than it is for their permission

I disagree if your dept wants officers to have different color helmets and mandates it then you should change it and who cares how dirty it looks from the jobs youve seen that doesnt mean anything.