Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Montrose VAFD

9 posts in this topic

Random thought popped into my head, when the campus was busier, did the FD ever operate addational apparatus other then the Engine, Mini-Attack (a great- looking rig!) Ambulance and Haz-Mat?

thanks

To the best of my recollection, they used to have a front-line Engine, a spare engine, MA28 and two ambulances.

They may not be that "busy," but I will be the first to admit that they are a good resource to us in the area. Our FD has trained with them a few times and to the best of my knowledge, we have them in our "Haz-Mat plan" for initial response.

In the VAC I belong to, we run quite a number of calls on the VA campus, and the FDVA is always there to provide prompt EMS care until our arrival, and to assist us until we transport. From time to time, personnel permitting, they give us an EMT to fill out our crew.

On a more personal note, I am surprised the Montrose VA campus doesn't run a quint....maybe one day it will.

The Montrose VA FD used to operate 2 engines from 1986 until 1998, when MA-28 was delivered and replaced Engine 224 (1970 International/FTI).

Long before HazMat 3 there was also a Utility vehicle (a S-10 pick-up with utility body and a "covered wagon" rear) that was used as the HazMat and Confined Space Rescue Vehicle.

Don't expect a quint anytime in the near future- it was hard enough getting funding for a regular Class A pumper.

Edited by RES20CUE

Isn’t MA-28 going to have a Rescue designation soon? Does MA-28 carry any extrication equipment?

What is the FDVA primary frequency?

585 i always thought a quint would be perfect with all the high rises. I think a quint would do the job fine along with the mini. They also need a bigger station im sure that part of it a very small part why they dont have a quint is theres no where to put it i mean the hazmat sits outside .

If I'm not mistaken didn't Montrose and Castle Point just spec out Spartan/ Ferrara Class As?

SQUADco119...I think the problem with a quint/ladder being assigned to the Montrose VAFD is the "henhouses"/pedestrian walkways. They are much to narrow and not high enough for a ladder. However, if those were not an issue, a quint would suit the VA perfectly (IMO). I could never understand myself why they never had one. I also could never understand why the government couldn't muster up some funds to give the VAFD a more adequate firehouse in terms of size? Its a damn shame that the almost-new Haz-Mat rig and the ambulance have to sit in the parking lot :D . I know their current engine (E225 Pierce) is a tight squeeze to fit into the bay as it is.

EMSCOMM80...Yes, if i am not mistaken, MA28 is in the process of being re-designated as a Rescue (unknown #). Last i knew of, MA28 did not carry extrication tools, however maybe its in the cards for them?

Turborich...Yes, the FDVA did order (2), i believe, Ferrara Class-A pumpers which should be delivered within the next few months i would think. I'm not too sure if they are on Spartan chassis, but definately Ferrara rigs and (1) will be for the Montrose campus and the other for Castle Point (Dutchess).

MA-28 carries LUKAS hydraulic rescue tools.

Rescue 48 has been reserved for the VA, things are in the works for redesignation. More equipment will be needed before the Rescue designation will be implemented.

There are currently (2) Ferrara Intruder II-S pumpers on order to replace the current Engine 225 in Montrose and the current 91-11 in Castle Point. The Intruder II-S chassis is essentially the Spartan Advantage chassis. They will have 1500 GPM Waterous pumps with 1000 Gallon booster tanks.

Ahh i see what u mean BFD1054 with the walkways. And speaking of the small firehouse and bay we tried to put 119 (the smallest rig in our fleet) in thier bay and its really tight.