Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Diabetes and firefighters

7 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there are any other firefighters ( both volunteer and career) who are diabetic. I am recently diagnosed type 2 and looking to perhaps start a support network for firefighters who have diabetes. I am a member of the American Diabetes Association and have access to alot of information. We can beat it !!! Contact me at Amanc2196@aol.com.

Andy Mancusi ;)

This is from one of my buddies in my fire dept. I dont know if its proper to post here but i am sure if its not it will be handled properly

My day job is in Manhattan where I'm employed as a business agent for photographers in advertising. I have a client researching the following for an advertising shoot. They are looking for subjects to photograph that meet the following

criteria:

1. Subjects must be 40 years of age or older.

2. Must use Lantus to control A1C level(must prove usage) 3. Fire Service- Volunteer or Career

The client is looking for "real" people that use the product as opposed to utilizing models. Subjects chosen for this campaign would be compensated 5(five) K- $5,000.00 dollars as it would be a lifetime buyout for usage. If you are interested + meet the criteria, please call me on my mobile: 914.262.6303.

I would need a Jpg of subject to forward to client(specifically in turnout gear).

Or if you know anyone that meets the criteria + would be interested, please pass e-mail along.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

Columbia Hose #3, E87

Sleepy Hollow

Good luck Chief

I will let the people in my house know.

Andy

Heres my advice--keep tight control of the alc - keep testing at least once or twice a day. Keep in touch with your Doctors,including your foot Doctor, Eye Doctor and regular Doctor. I have been type 2 for over 10 years. Fins a diabetic program, be able to read the labels on the food containers and know what they mean. Take your medicene as precribed when you have to. Gererally just be alert and conscience of what you do.

I have recieved alot of replies both here and via e-mail and just want to say thanks. Again, we can all beat this.

Andy:

One thing to remember, the nutritionist I went to said to always check the CARB content of the product, its a combonation of the sugar and carb since the carbs turn to sugar not just looking at the sugar can give you a false number when you read a label. It could be low in sugar but high in carbs.