Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

And he joked about it !

14 posts in this topic

The early bird catches fire, burns the house

Workers frying pre-Thanksgiving turkey torch home they’d just built

The Associated Press

Updated: 2:54 p.m. ET Nov. 23, 2005

EUGENE, Ore. - A construction worker’s tradition of cooking a turkey for an early Thanksgiving celebration went awry when a deep fryer caught fire, burning the house he and his co-workers had just finished building.

Cement worker Henry Schmerber bought a propane fryer Tuesday and set it up inside the vacant house’s garage. Workers took turns watching the kettle.

But the fryer’s thermometer was broken, and oil inside the kettle overheated, spilling onto the burner and igniting, workers said. Flames spread through the garage and up the front of the house to the second floor.

The men used a fire extinguisher to no avail.

Eugene District Fire Chief Paul Dammen estimated the loss at $75,000. The home, which had not been sold, was insured.

Undaunted, Schmerber and his co-workers bought a second turkey and cooked it in the backyard of a house across the street.

“We’re gonna burn another house down,†Schmerber joked

why do people continue to try and fry the turky?!? is oven coked not good enough?

“We’re gonna burn another house down,” Schmerber joked

Sound like a fire bug to me, maybe he needs to pay for he's actions. Like for example:

1. Cash
  2. a class on how to cook a tukey
  3. a fire pervention class

to name a few. LMAO

Those fryers are too dangerous. Oil splattering all over the place can cause serious fires. I saw something yesterday on turkey fryers, I am not going to mess with those things NO WAY not me.

why do people continue to try and fry the turky?!? is oven coked not good enough?

No! Oven cooked is not good enough!

Deep fried turkey tastes better then roasted bird. Unfortunately, every year you read about knuckleheads that burn their houses down doing it. Keeping the fryers inside is just plain stupid.

Fried turkey is amazing! Gotta cook it in the great outdoors however!!!! Its safer than most think as long as you follow directions and make sure your equipment is working properly!!!

Haha... Anyone wanna be a cement supervisor... I think theyre gonna have an opening

Edited by CrotonFalls33

Darwin was right, thin the herd. If you get hurt or kill yourself frying a turkey you probably deserved what you got. Just follow the directions and you get an amazing meal.

Two years ago we tried to deep fry a turkey on the deck. Almost set the deck on fire. Not a good idea... we're sticking to the oven.

I'm going to steal NYtrukie catch phase and ask the following question?

Why wasn't this posted in Street eats
Edited by ems-buff

Sweetie, I didn't WANT this topic.