Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Electronic PCR's? Good Idea?

9 posts in this topic

I personally feel this is a great tool,especially for somebody with horrible handwriting such as myself. I saw a demo when it was in beta phase, It can really make charting easier for the EMS providers....Some of the features I liked best were that it could pull up pt history, billing info,and especially how easy it made it to actually write the chart. Definetly also makes things easier for the managment end as well. I beleive Stamford EMS is going with this, I wonder if we will be seeing a pilot program in Westchester anytime soon.

Medtronic Introduces Electronic Patient Care Reporting System for Emergency Medical Services  

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 19, 2003--

LIFENET® EMS Improves Speed and Accuracy of Patient Data Collection and Management    

Medtronic Physio-Control, the leading provider of automated external defibrillators to the emergency medical services (EMS) industry, today announced the U.S. commercial launch of the LIFENET® EMS electronic patient care reporting system. Using powerful mobile data collection software with a rugged, touch-screen mobile PC, the system enables EMS paramedics and first responders to electronically capture patient information at the scene of an emergency and wirelessly transfer it to clinical and operational staff for in-depth data management and reporting. The LIFENET EMS system has the potential to enhance clinical patient care standards and operational performance as a result of more accurate, complete and rapid patient data collection and management.  

"Managing patient data in emergency care is a significant challenge today, as nearly 90 percent of EMS organizations are using paper-based data records. The paperless LIFENET EMS system can help EMS organizations improve accuracy of data collection and management and more easily meet industry and governmental record-keeping requirements," said Robert White, president of Medtronic Physio-Control. "We believe the precision and efficiency provided by the LIFENET EMS system will help improve overall EMS system performance and ultimately benefit the patients they serve."  

The LIFENET EMS system rapidly captures patient care data - such as event location and time, patient status, health condition and treatment provided - using unique finger touch-screen technology and is designed to make data recording easy for the paramedic. Its data analysis and management capabilities may translate into simplified government reporting processes, improved bill acceptance rates and more rapid revenue collection. In addition, patient heart rhythm and vital signs data captured from a LIFEPAK® 12 defibrillator/ monitor also can be automatically transferred to the LIFENET EMS system and added to the patient's record.  

"Since we implemented a fully integrated, wireless electronic patient care reporting system, we have seen benefits across the organization," said Stephen Williamson, president and CEO of the Emergency Medical Service Authority (EMSA), which provides advanced life support ambulance service in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Okla. "The system allows for faster, easier collection and analysis of data and helps us provide better service to our patients."  

The LIFENET EMS system is a result of a partnership announced earlier this year between Medtronic Physio-Control and Medusa Medical Technologies Inc., two leaders in serving the emergency services industry. Medusa's highly successful and proven Siren ePCR™ Suite software has been re-branded to be sold worldwide as the Medtronic LIFENET EMS system. Additional products and services will be developed and serviced jointly by the two companies in the future. Additional information about the LIFENET EMS electronic patient care reporting system can be found at www.lifenet-ems.com.  

I know at YVAC we log each of our written PCR's into a computer but not all the major info goes in. Just times, mileage, Locatation and trauma,med. emergency, stand by and so on. Also the crew and Medics are logged into it. It helps us, but minus the major info. I think it would be a good idea, but what about security with all the new HIPAA regulations?

Seems kind of a large unit to carry around on a call.

It would be cool though to just get everything on a palm pilot or something and when at the hospital/in quarters be able to "beam" the info to a computer and get a PCR (as we know it) print out with everything on it.

FDNY EMS is working on a bar code system for EMS patient tracking. besides the obvious recent events....(WTC 93/01, Father's Day Fire, etc) the staten island ferry incident has really shown the need for EMS tracking and accountability. When an EMS supervisor is commanding the medical triage and transport, protocol states that he is responsible to report to his superiors (both in FDNY and OEM) the amount of patients and TXP destinations. This had proven to be very difficult and rarely accurate until hours later. The bar code system involves electronic "stamping" and PT's are placed in a databse accessable by command units....other then that i dont know the details of the system. It is far from bought and still in an investigative phase...

In addition, certain FDNY*EMS units were instituting a scanning system for PCR's...written PCR's were scanned into a computer. This was a trial only and i believe only certain units participated...those units were put to last recommended in the CAD for the final 15 minutes of their tour. I have not heard any more about this, as to whether or not is has been adopted citywide, still in trial, or scratched completely.

As far as HIPAA regulations go, radio transmissions remain relatively unchanged...that is EMS agancies are not required to have digital protocol encryption to comply with HIPAA, as long as all info transmitted is determined to be pertinent to patient care, and names are kept confidential. (That is dispatch to and address and nature is HIPAA compliant) To make a digital PCR system, the transmissions would be digital automatically, cutting out your average eavesdropper (but not the advanced ones)....The problem comes with access to the database...people "without direct patient care or contact" could view all records, unless an accurate and extensive security program was instituted.

I feel that an electronic PCR would be useful, especially since computers are being used in so many capacities today. I would think it would be easier to log in the info and be able to understand the info after the fact. Also, it would be easier to store the PCR's for future reference. I just can't see every Ambulance Corps running out and buying laptops or palm pilots for every rig. However, i can see electronic devices being phased into EMS in due time.

I think this electronic PCR would be a good idea but you have to get all the hospitals you serve to go along with it, for instance they need a way of getting a copy of that PCR when you finish writing it, like we usually do after a run. With the electronic PCR, they would have to subscribe to the same program in order for it to work properly.

or have some way of getting a printout to hand to them.....potatohead :wink:

Greenwich EMS uses an electonic PCR system using rugged Panasonic notebook computers with pen system. I'm not sure how they print it out when they are done, but a likely route is to use a built in modem to send a fax of the completed PCR to the ER. Works for 12LEads on the Lp12s. ;->

WE USE A COMPUTTOR GENERATED PCR IN HORRY COUNTY,SC IT IS GREAT FOR BILLING AS WELLL AS PATIENT INFO. ALSO IT IS TOUGH FORGETTING ITEMS BECAUSE THE COMPUTOR CATCHES IT.

THOUGH AS A STREET MEDIC IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT TAKES AROUND 25-35 MINUTES TO COMPLETE A REPORT. AND THATS NOT A DIFFICULT REPORT

I HATE THEM