Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Westchester Technical Rescue Team

6 posts in this topic

In another thread I saw mention of a Westchester Technical Rescue Team. Exactly what is the Westchester TRT? How are they organized and who are they made up of? I am a 911 Dispatcher for Putnam County and one of the things I am working on is a resource list for specialized teams. I have information on the Rockland TRT and would like to find out about Westchesters. Anyone with any information please e-mail me at EJS1810@AOL.com. Thanks

EJS

I know Greenburgh has a TRT. Is there another one? I had thought I heard something of a volunteer one, but I don't know much further.

The Westchester TRT is an organized team that has been drilling for well over a year now for the purpose of highangle rescue, confined space rescue and such.

The history of the team goes back over a year now but they can not be utilized due to legal reasons. Right now, the biggest set back is a change of the county charter to recognize such a team much like the hazmat team.

Last year, under Commish Kelly, the county legislators was aproached about the issue and it all but came to a vote. Now that (effective Jan.) there's a new legislative body, the whole project needs to be, and is being, revisited from scratch.

The TRT that serves up in the north section of the county is all volunteer. I know they practice a lot and have drills at least 2 times a month. They are very progressive in training and if you have any interest in getting involved I think they would be more than happy to take you in. If your interested contact control. 607 can set you in the right direction

Even tho it wasn't official, we had several members of the TRT working with the PRFD on a rescue off the side of a hill at the bottom of cliff a few months back for a person who fell about 70 feet. It was all well done and professionally executed.

what are the requirments to join, and can any on for see the team being able to offical respond in the near future?