Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

CA Homeowner Builds Personal Firefighting Rig

3 posts in this topic

Homeowner Builds Personal Firefighting Rig

LA HABRA HEIGHTS, CA - One local man has taken some unusual steps to increase his home's odds of surviving a firestorm. He has set up his own personal firehouse - sort of.

George Edwards spoke with ABC7 Eyewitness News about his personal fire rig. He said, "The moment I hooked it up, it was incredible. I felt like I do have a class 7 fire rig."

George Edwards has been a video photographer here in Los Angeles for the better part of 2 years, during that time he has found himself in the middle of everything including forest fires. So when he and his wife bought property in La Habra Heights a few years ago they were determined to make sure their investment did not go up in smoke.

They decide to take firefighting into their own hands. They took a tractor and added a water tank, installed a high-pressure pump and purchased surplus fire hoses and then got the nozzles they needed.

Edwards said, "The moment I hooked it up, it was incredible. I felt like I do have a class 7 fire rig."

Both George and his wife Julie know how to use the rig, and they have fire drills, proving they know how to fight a fire with ingenuity.

"My wife is surprised by this and nobody is more surprised than me," said Edwards.

The Edwards are not advocates that homeowners go it alone, but considering that they live miles away from the nearest fire station they believe their blue rig will get the job done until the red engines arrive.

"I really think this type of system will really fight off a fire long enough for us to get help. So we see it as a first aid kid kit for fire. And sense I live in an area with no volunteer fire department. I will volunteer to protect my own property," Edwards told ABC7 Eyewitness News.

i give them alot of credit...i just hope they still call 911 if, god forbid, something happens