Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Seperate Channels

10 posts in this topic

Now I have a question that has been bugging me...

I guess we can all agree that Somers, and Mohegan are probably the 2 most busiest agencies who operate on 46.26, whether it's fires or EMS. How come Somers and Mohegan dont just get there own dispatch frequencies besides 46.26? For Example Agencies like: Tarrytown, Ardsley, Elmsford, Sleepy Hollow, and Hastings all have there own private dispatch and operation channel, and they all arent even that busy. How come Mohegan and Somers arent issued private channels to get the traffic off 46.26?

How come Mohegan and Somers arent issued private channels to get the traffic off 46.26?

Much of both Mohegan and Somers traffic is already off of 46.260 (believe it or not). Mohegan is getting paged off UHF for EMS and the busses operate on UHF. Currently all of Somers EMS calls operate on VHF-Hi (with the exception of tone outs). On a possitive note, Somers is in the early stages of looking to get off 46.26 all together. For dispatch and operatons.

Individual departments won't get issued frequencies automatically. They need to apply for them with the FCC just as Somers did long before 60 Control. If fact, there is only one department in the county that was licenced on 46.260 before Somers and that'e Greenville.

Actually there are several more dept's that were licensed on 46.26 before "County Control"-

Archville

Ardsley

Bedford Hills

Buchannan

Croton

Eastchester

Greenville

Hastings

Irvington

Larchmont

No Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow)

No White Plains

Ossining

Peekskill

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Purchase

Scarsdale

Somers

Tarrytown

Vista

Montrose VA

Ideally, seperate frequencies would be reserved for different tasks in different areas.

For example, each Battalion should have;

A Dispatch for Fire

A Dispatch for EMS

A response / operations for Fire

A response / operations for EMS

And a Fireground channel for each operation.

Why? Because there is too much $hit on the current channels. Several departments have embraced the UHF Fireground frequencies, and even more haven't. Alot of people argue that putting everyone on a fireground channel doesn't allow personnel on the scene to hear important messages. This would not be true if Incident Commanders knew how to properly run a scene and utilize their radios to their fullest potential. Command only needs to communicate with 60 control or whomever is their Comm Center. Ask yourself this... you are operating on a primary search team, and you come across 3 victims. You try to radio out to command your findings and to send help, but you got stepped on by an incoming engine asking for orders. Not a good scenario. We should all be in the habit of putting our operations over to an alternate channel ALL THE TIME! The Departments that request a 10-10 and stay on 46.26 are never going to solve their problems. Too many "Daily 10-3's," "announcements" and oh yeah, OTHER INCIDENTS will continue on 46.26....... ](*,)

I tottally agree with 1075thebox!

Well Mohegan solved part of the problem. They are still dispatching many EMS calls on both their UHF VAC freq and fire.

Why don't they get their own operations channel? Which I do agree with you and several other points on here. However, there is always one major issue always....$$$$$$$.

There isn't any reason why our county can't operate on similiar channels. One channel for dispatching calls. One channel for units to mark responding. One channel for incident commanders to speak to county when they have a priority incident. All other traffic goes to fireground channels. Every battalion should not need its own dispatch freq. The county needs to have "A" dispatch freq. This trunking system is a great concept, but feel it was the wrong choice and over done. Not to mention that most depts. already operating on their own UHF channels aren't goint to use it.

I believe Mohegan dispatches EMS calls on both 46.26 and their UHF frequency, except at night. At night they only dispatch on UHF and use special night tones. Ambulance operations are held to UHF, unless otherwise needed. I believe this is the case, but don't quote me on it.

I've heard from a fairly reliable source that begining May 1st Mohegan VAC will be dispatched from 60 Control on their UHF only.

All EMS runs will be sent to 60, then transfered to Mohegan Fire for the first responders.

I can't talk about Mohegan, but do have the money for us to replace all of our pagers, plactrons, and siren activation points??

Sometimes things sound good, but then the good old dollar figure comes into play.

Don't you think that we were smart enough to come up with the same solution??

Unless someone wants to give us some money to do a change over, it's not happening. We have our own District Wide frequency that we use and rely on pretty heavily, mostly because we can hear or talk on 46.26 because of all the traffic. I would love to change over to that completely, but don't have the money to do it.

Instead of trying to get departments off of 46.26 at this point, how about someone regulating the output power and these 400 mHz cross band repeaters? Mohegan was bad enough before, now they can set off a pager under the Throgg's Neck bridge!! (yes, I was there this weekend and my car radio picked them up like the dispatcher was sitting in the car with me!!

Well Mohegan Vac is working on getting dispatched by fire control which will probably happen within a few weeks and then you wont hear any ems calls dispatched over 46.26 we currently operate on our own UHF frequency for the actual disp and response. Mohegan on the fire end we do have our own UHF Districtwide frequency that we operate on alot on scene's aswell as UHF fire ground frequency so we are getting better