Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Communications 101

7 posts in this topic

Communications, by definition, is the art and technique of using words effectively to impart information or ideas. One simple way of getting across the point we are trying to make is to state it in plain English, no codes, no “trade jargon.”

To make people better understand what it is that I am trying to drive home, I have broken it down into a few simple rules. I am confident that if we live by these rules, our operations will become substantially smoother.

Rule #1 – Know What You Are Saying. If you are going to get on that radio and call for something – know what it is before you key-up! There is nothing more aggravating not only to the receptor of your message but to those involved in your incident as well. If you get on the radio and start spitting out sounds and not words, those looking to you for guidance are going to begin losing faith in you. Keep the “ums,” “ahs,” and “ughs” to yourself for the next time your significant other asks why you haven’t done something at home. Taking the few seconds to plan out what you want to say makes for a better line of communication. Keep this in mind for not only your radio transmissions, but those pesky press interviews that may happen.

Rule #2 – Stay Calm. If you are trying to transmit a message to someone and you attempt to do it under pressure or at the mercy of your adrenaline, think again. Imagine this, you are the Officer leading a crew down a hallway full of smoke and heat, then suddenly a wall of fire appears. You tell the guy on the knob to hit it and the line goes limp. What would you do? Obviously, you or one of the guys on the line is going to think “Oh boy, this isn’t good.” Keep calm and make a swift decision. Don’t get on the radio and start yelling. The last thing you need to do is upset your MPO, who will then get your IC worked up too. It’s a domino effect, do what you can to avoid causing it.

Rule #3 – Speak English. Here’s a hidden fact about me, I’m a buff. I listen to a radio almost 24/7, whether at home, in the car or at work, where rumor has it I am suppose to listen. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times per day I hear someone transmit something, and the person they are calling has to ask what they meant. A great example of this comes from a fire scene I was at this year. The first floor hose crew called, “xxx to Command.” “Command is on for xxx.” “xxx to Command, can we get someone to open up the windows on the C/D sides of this building, we’re taking a beating in here.” “Command to xxx, you want what?” Obviously, a few things here could have been changed. First, Command should know which sides are which. Second, with all of the background noises at a fire scene, “B,” “C” and “D” kind of sound the same. Perhaps that hose team could have said the “Charlie” and “Delta” sides. Third, as a Department, it is imperative to be on the same page when it comes to the lingo we’re going to use. Mutual Aid units should all be working on the same level by now. Incoming units should make face to face contact with the IC and be briefed on everything before jumping in and going to work. Make sure that each side, every exposure, every unit is identified so there is no confusion. Avoid those damn Ten Codes – they’ll just cause confusion. Lastly, stop trying to sound like "those other guys." Sounding like someone who is sure of themselves and the operation at hand is a better leader and role model than the jackhole who speaks in foreign (other areas, nearby City, etc.) language that has to explain everything anyway.

That’s it for now, please keep it safe & keep it simple!

here's something- using #1,2,3,4, is hard to confuse- what depts are on the same page when you identify where you are?A,B,C,D? 1,2,3,4??? PROBABLY GOOD FOR ANOTHER THREAD.

Edited by hudson144

Good topic. 585 hits the nail on the head.

Also don't forget:

1. You screw up on the scene, anywhere from 10 - 100 can see it. You sound like a idiot on the radio, your talking thousands.

2. LISTEN TO SEE IF SOMEONE IS TALKING BEFORE YOU KEY UP. This isn't rocket science, only one person can talk at a time.

3. Once you know that the air is clear, key your radio and wait a second or two before speaking. This is why I'm in favor of programming all radios with the function of giving the beep when you key up to make this happen. Nothing is more aggravating then getting a message that the beginning is cut off.

Finally, I can't stress this enough along with hudson and 585, stay calm. Nothing is that bad. If you are one of the first on the scene, you set the tone. Its not your emergency.

Amen brothers…

Just to add on a short note…

Remember, if you are in a vehicle that has a mobile radio… remember not to use your hand held radio. Feedback annoys EVERYONE!

Great Topic and some good info!! (I knew you had some smarts munson) LOL :P

ALS I understand what you mean about not receiving the first part of a message. My department has all radios mobile and portables programmed with the beep when you key the mic. They are also programmed so that it will make a long beep if the radio isn’t hitting the tower; this lets you know your not getting out.

Total pet peeve - People getting on scene and screaming on the radio and making things ten times worse then they are.

Does anybody else think that a better Communications class should be intergraded into the fire service when taking classes???

Edited by HCFRFF

I think a communications class is a good idea. I think you might be able to incorporate it into the SIZE UP class that they just had on the county level. One problem with that is.. the communications are so mixed here. There is no standarization (yet) and one department is working with high tech stuff, and the other end is working with a can and a string.

great topic I see we are all on the same page . communications is covered in many area of firefighter 1 I will include more of it in future training . In firefighter 1 I try and get the student into 60 controlso they can see the operstions first hand--thats important to see the recieving end of your communications. The dispatchers thay I have delt with do stress plain english.

Has any one looked as to what NIMS says about communications.

have a safe holiday

firecapt32