Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LOSAP Retirement

12 posts in this topic

Is there any Ambulance Corps doing the LOSAP Retirement program???

Putnam Valley VAC has been planning a 'Retirement' plan for about 4 years, but has not implemented yet. The membership wanted to get settled into our new Headquarters first.

We are currently looking at 2007 for geting the plan on-line.

At this time, we are NOT using the NYS LOSAP plan, as it really does not give credit to all the aspects of a volunteer department (those members that handle the day to day behind the scenes work, that keeps the place running, but don't ride on the ambulance). These members fulfill a need that is worthy of being part of a retirement system.

Tarrytown VAC uses LOSAP. Since I'm not 18 yet, I'm not covered by it and therefore don't know too much about it.

I know that you need 50 points by the end of the year to be covered for that year. You can get 1/2 a point for calls, 1 point for meetings/training, I think 1/6 of a point for every hour that you are on duty, x amount of points for being an officer, etc.

I hope this may help you and feel free to contact me for any other info.

it's a nice insentive, gotta keep members around, numbers are dropping everywhere

I am a member of Pleasantville VAC - we have considered looking into the LOSAP program, but unfortunately we do not retain members long enough to make it worth while since you have to be a member for 5 years before you are vested. I am also a Commissioner with Thornwood F.D. where we have the program (I am the Administrator for the program) so I am well briefed on how it works - I know the cost of the program and that is why we have hesitated with going forward with it at PVAC where we only have a handful of members with over 5 years (I personally have 17 years), so I would certainly benefit, but being reasonable, I don't think it is worthwhile to spend the money.

Yorktown VAC has had its LOSAP in place for about 6 years now. Our members are required to be on duty at Headquarters, and in uniform at least 288 hours a year to get credit for the year. That works out to 24 hours per month.

Valhalla and peekskill VAC's both have it.

Are you sure Valhalla has it? - I heard they were looking into it - I did not hear anything about them going to public referendum to get it passed.

There are several. I will get you a list.

Stan Lane

Thanks for the input so far. We are a combination Fire / Ambulance Department in Pike County PA and there are no Depts by us doing any such thing. What I am looking for is how points are awarded. We are stuck on how to run the points for the crews that are on a scheduled night?

Again thanks for the input!

I also forgot to say that you can only get a certain number of points per category.

Ex. 20 pts max on duty, 25 pts max calls

Cortlandt VAC also has a Service Award Program.

Are you sure Valhalla has it? - I heard they were looking into it - I did not hear anything about them going to public referendum to get it passed.

Yes Valhalla talked about it, but like everything else over there the Capt. just let the idea fade away