Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unleashedff248

Croton-Multiple Alarm Structure Fire 12/31/05

36 posts in this topic

A couple of notes:

2082 requesting notification to watershed to try and open Croton Dam Rd. over the dam (never happened)

DOT to Quaker Ridge Rd. for icing condition

Verplank covered EMS call Rte. 9 N/B

C&O zone 4, Battalion 16, County Car 2, Somers car 2441, 2442 on location as well

2084 reporting all M/A tankers released, maintain coverage in Croton @ 04:02

2087 requesting two pickup trucks from DPW to bring equipment to firehouse @ 04:11

All Continental Village units 10-8 04:17

Verplank TL-46 released from standby 04:31

A great job to all involved!

This was the view from Underhill Rd. and Rte. 129 at approx. 01:30 hrs.

dsc00812a5ih.jpg

Edited by unleashedff248

Units:

Croton 2081(IC), 2082(IC-Aid), 2083 (Ops B/C), 2084 (Supply), 2087 (Ops A/D), E118, E119, E120, TL44, T10, R18

Millwood 2252, T15

Yorktown 2532, T14, R16 (Cascade)

Somers 2441, 2442, E188, T16

Ossining 2332, E98, E99, U51

Montrose 2271, 2273, E121 - Water Supply

Cont. Village 2131, T11

Cortlandt EMS 88B3

Ossining ALS 36M1

WCDES Car 2, Batt. 16, 1404

WCPD, NYSP, DEP Police

Town of Cortlandt DPW, Town of Ossining DPW & Croton DPW

Relocates:

Verplanck TL46, 2492

Briarcliff E94, 2052

00:31 - Call Dispatched

00:32 - 1st Units Responding

00:40 - 2081 On scene "10-75"

00:44 - E119 on location laying up driveway.

Fire was on an estate which is now property of Westchester County. There are several buildings on the property, most are smaller in size, generally used as garages. The fire building is a 75 x 50 2 1/2 Story wood frame. On arrival, heavy fire was blowing out all sides, with embers creating concerns for the nearby woods. E119 made a brief attack via deck gun while the water supply was established. Not too long after our arrival, 2 collapses occurred. Not too long after this, a pair of 250 lb. propane tanks started to "blow-off," so personnel staged out of the area. Three lines were stretched from E119 in addition to the deck gun to battle the blaze. E118 took a position midway in the relay, but had a mechanical failure and was quickly taken out of the relay. E120 drafted from the portable ponds and fed E119. The main body of fire was out around 02:30. Crews from Yorktown, Somers, Millwood and Ossining assisted with the efforts at the fire scene while members of the other M/A units handled our water problems. As of this writing (10:55) there is still some smoldering in the rubble that is being monitored by WCPD & CFD. Plans are in place to pull apart the debris and to re-deploy apparatus as needed throughout the day. A tough battle, a cold night, and another overall good job by everyone involved. This fire remains under investigation by WCPD.

Edited by Remember585

Was this the last fire for the outgoing Chief in Croton?? I believe he only has less tha 24 hrs left for his term to finish. Happy New Year... :rolleyes::D

Man, we hope this is it!

All I have to say is: I HATE MISSING GOOD CALLS

And, Open the friggin Damn to Emergency Vehicles Already. From our quaters to that address across the Damn is 4-5 min, through Crotonville its 15min+..... Good thing this was an abandoned house me thinks.

But, I am just bitter I missed it

Where were you man?!

I was forced by my woman to go to a party up in Orange county... I was home at 1:45, I guess I thould have taken a listen to 46.26

email me pics....JT hook me up!

Edited by CFD320

I finally caught some fire! Even though it was totatly defencive, It was awesome!

ONLOCATION, is that the ground floor and 1st floor fireplaces I see in your "front entrance" photo ?? Thanks for the great pics!

JT missed the single most priceless shot. Outgoing 2081 covered in PROTEIN foam at 5:45 a.m. with bazooka nozzle in-hand applying a greasey coating, then got into his cheif truck smearing it into the seats just in time to hand-it-over to in coming diggs tomorrow. LOL "THE FIN"

I missed that part too......Damn!

Damnit.....The fin even got to pull the lever :D

ONLOCATION, is that the ground floor and 1st floor fireplaces  I see in your "front entrance" photo ??  Thanks for the great pics!

Yes that would be it. Some guys from Yorktown got an awesome photo of the smoke clearing from around the chimney, and smoke pouring out of it!

Well, you weren't the only one who missed it. I was hanging out in New Rochelle with my girlfriend. Ferg has me on suicide watch for the next few days lol

Hey Art...Girlfriend vs. Working Fire??? Hmmm, i hope she doesn't visit this site lol! I don't know about you, but i'd much rather spend my time with a girl than be at a fire (there may be comments to follow, but at least i'm honest!).

Jk Bro, have a happy & safe New Year! Hey, it would have been worse if you were working and had to listen to it all shift right?

Edited by BFD1054

Hey Art...Girlfriend vs. Working Fire???  Hmmm, i hope she doesn't visit this site lol!  I don't know about you, but i'd much rather spend my time with a girl than be at a fire (there may be comments to follow, but at least i'm honest!).

That's why I didn't get in my car and rush up there. I found out about the fire at 1:25, and I left New Rochelle at 2:30, after she wanted to go home. I caught some flack from the guys about it, but it really doesn't matter to me. I agree with what you said 100%, and I would never dream of leaving my girl for a fire. And the sad thing is that i can name about a dozen and a half people who would at the drop of a hat.

Edited by 648eng119

Now if it was really meant to be she would have gone with you to the fire. LOL.

Good job 648. At least I know your kidding about the suicide watch comment. I'd might have had to give you the look and a speech if you were.

It is meant to be that she did want to go home. You need balance and that place isn't your life. There will always be another fire at some point.

It is meant to be that she did want to go home. You need balance and that place isn't your life.  There will always be another fire at some point.

My thoughts exactly - I cherish every moment I get to spend with her. As much as I would have liked to have been there - she is much more important to me than the fire department. Now i just wish some other people would see things that way. Many relationships would go sooooo much better. Anyway - off to bed for now.

BTW - even though it's a good topic to talk about, i think we're getting a little off track from the fire. And we all know that's against the rules :D;)B)

Edited by 648eng119

That's why I didn't get in my car and rush up there. I found out about the fire at 1:25, and I left New Rochelle at 2:30, after she wanted to go home. I caught some flack from the guys about it, but it really doesn't matter to me. I agree with what you said 100%, and I would never dream of leaving my girl for a fire. And the sad thing is that i can name about a dozen and a half people who would at the drop of a hat.

On his way home, he managed to drive past the firehouse, where Mutual Aid was sitting, and went home. Never mind the fact we were all up there until close to 6:45AM. Oh, and let's not forget we finished packing up around 9AM. Thanks for the help, "Lieutenant."

Well, your leaving out the part about the accident happening in front of me on the SBP on the way home, and having to wait about an hour and a half for the troopers to give me info to get a copy of the accident report because some of the debris kicked up and put a chip in the windshield of my dad's truck. If that didn't happen, i would have been up there. But a half hour before i left the accident, i heard all the tankers being released. So there!! ;)B)

Art,

Thanks for the chance to help out even if you weren't in town!!

post-785-1136262969.jpg

Another good job done by the CFD!