Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Mt Vernon FD

18 posts in this topic

Can anybody advise me how many engines and trucks the Mt. Vernon FD has in service and what is there manpower requirements for these companys.

They currently have 5 engines, 2 trucks, and 1 rescue co. On any given day, all 5 engines could be in service or only 4 of them will be in service. As far as manpower requirements, I really dont know.

The MT.Vernon F.D. runs with 5 Engines, 2 Trucks, a Rescue, and a Deputy's Suburban( Car 2 ), on a Good Day! They have two men on their Engines, three men on their Trucks, and one firefighter with an Officer on the Rescue. They don't have Company Officers, but Station Officers, who ride out on which ever piece of apparatus is first due, whether it be the Engine or the Truck in Stations 1&3. If a company goes out on a minor, that Officer also responds with the apparatus leaving the other company behind with no Officer. At Station 4, where there are two Engine companies (Eng.#2 & Eng.#4), the same holds true for the Station Officer. He responds with which ever Eng.Co. is first due whether it be on a Box Alarm or a Minor, leaving the other Eng.Co. with no Officer, and two men. If a subsequent minor comes in for the other company that has no Officer assigned, they will either send the Rescue or the Second due company with an Officer. There have been numerous occasions however, where there are only 16 or 17 firefighters working, in which case the 5th Engine (Eng.#2) is put out of service. I guess this makes it convenient for the Officer, in that he doesn't have to bounce back and forth like a tennis ball between the two Engines, but not so much Safer for either the Men or the Public! They use to have 3 Trucks in service up until a few years ago, but I haven't heard too much talk about putting the third truck, which ran out of Station 2 along with Eng.#5 and R-1, back in service. These guys do the best they can with what they have to work with, but as a result of being undermanned and underequipped, it seems they will always be relying on Mutual Aid for assistance unfortunatelly. Also, as long as they have a Mayor in Office that thinks little of them, and treats them like second class citizens, there seems to be no Hope for these guys in the Vern! Keep up the Good Work fellows and continue to Fight the Fight!

Edited by capt.415

FDMV used to run with 6 engines, 3 trucks and a rescue. Engine 1 was taken OOS about 20 years ago....never to return.

It's a shame that the mayor has no clue on how to protect life and property in a densely populated community.

It's an embarassment.

FDMV used to run with 6 engines, 3 trucks and a rescue.  Engine 1 was taken OOS about 20 years ago....never to return.

It's a shame that the mayor has no clue on how to protect life and property in a densely populated community. 

It's an embarassment.

its a damn shame that the mayor&fire commisioner dont give damn there idea of manpower is mutual aid kudos to the f/f's&officers who must put up with it i'm curious if osha can help it's about time mayor ernie had his wings clipped

its  a damn shame that the mayor&fire commisioner dont give damn there idea of manpower is mutual aid kudos to the f/f's&officers who must put up with it i'm curious if osha can help it's about time mayor ernie had his wings clipped

Never mind his wings clipped, how about his Locks! What a disgrace!

Guys, come on. A dept is only as good as whats its got to work with. FDMV does one hell of a job trying to protect the City. Enough about all the "higher ups" trying to cut corners and what-not.

Lets not forget that Politicians arent there for ONE agency, they are in place because the General Public put them there. Im not saying that I am in favor of what goes on, but sometimes public voice is more powerful than a specific dept. of govt.

Guys, come on.  A dept is only as good as whats its got to work with.  FDMV does one hell of a job trying to protect the City.  Enough about all the "higher ups" trying to cut corners and what-not.

Lets not forget that Politicians arent there for ONE agency, they are in place because the General Public put them there.  Im not saying that I am in favor of what goes on, but sometimes public voice is more powerful than a specific dept. of govt.

Your right Shantz, the General Public puts the Politicians in Office. Unfortunately, the General Public of MT.Vernon seems to be thinking along the same lines as the General Public of Washington D.C.!

Edited by capt.415

Does FDMV follow the county numbering ssytem on the radio or do the just use Engine 2, Engine 3, ect. I'm just courious.

FDMV has it's own numbering system. When on MV frequency (154.145) talking to MV dispatch they use MV numbers. When they switch over to 60 Control for mutual aid, they goto the county numbers.

Guys, come on.  A dept is only as good as whats its got to work with.  FDMV does one hell of a job trying to protect the City.  Enough about all the "higher ups" trying to cut corners and what-not.

Lets not forget that Politicians arent there for ONE agency, they are in place because the General Public put them there.  Im not saying that I am in favor of what goes on, but sometimes public voice is more powerful than a specific dept. of govt.

Shantz,

Wrong topic my friend.

Never mind his wings clipped, how about his Locks! What a disgrace!

his locks are gross he should his fire commisioner[aka foot doctor] &move out of town

his locks are gross he should his fire commisioner[aka foot doctor] &move out of town

But he has to represent his people, so why not have the same hairstyle. <_<

It's the growing trend for officers in the FDMV.... :lol:

Is there really a need for a deputy commissioner?

Is there really a need for a deputy commissioner?

not really just another b/s job in da vern

Mt Vernon does the job well regardless of their manpower issue, I will say this the Mayor of Mt Vernon is a disgrace and an embarassment to the city he does not care anything about the fire dept which is shameful. That dept should be running 7 engine companies 3 ladder companies and one rescue company with 3 to a rig and spare rigs as well. I hope they continue to do their job regardless of the situation that they have.