Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Scanners In Cars

21 posts in this topic

Can anyone Verify the Law when it comes to scanners in cars? I have heard many rumors, but now I want the truth. Can anyone tell me?

Last I heard you could only have a scanner in your car if you were a licensed amateur radio operator (HAM). I'd imagine that means Tech No-Code and up. Tho we did have a heated discussion at work with someone that insists otherwise. The proof has yet to be provided however. Perhaps someone can find something concrete?

Laws Governing Radio Monitoring in New York State

http://www.nf2g.com/scannist/nys_laws.html

Take a look at A.2601 under Mobile Scanning. From what I understood from reading this section, the bill is still in committee and has not yet ammended the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law.

This bill has been in committee since 1988. I would not count on seeing the laws change since it has not been approved in 16 years. If you would like to see the text of the bill you can go to http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02601

If you would like to read the consolidated V&TC section regarding this matter you can go to

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=128&a=20

and look at S397

While I am not saying that I know anything about the law, the way I am reading it, it seems very clear. At this point in time, you can not have a scanner in your car UNLESS you hold a valid amateur radio operator`s license issued by the federal communications commission

I see that it is prohibited to have a scanner in your car, but the fact is that unless you give a police officer a reason to hate you, he/she shouldn't pick on that. My scanner is in plain view, and I know many other people that have scanners in their vehicles. I personally don't listen to police frequencies (simply becuase they're too busy), but if you do, I would be careful not to flaunt that around police officers. My scanner is an important part of my response, since many times my pager won't pick up messages relayed to resonding personnel. Also, this is the only way I can monitor our districtwide channel, which now serves as our EMS frequency. Knowing whether or not the ambulance has left quarters is important in patient care, and taking time to call dipatch to ascertain this may not always be a viable choice. Anyway, I cannot speak for police, but I'm sure they aren't looking for vollies with scanners so that they can write tickets. Just use your brain and don't do anything stupid.

Anyway, I cannot speak for police, but I'm sure they aren't looking for vollies with scanners so that they can write tickets.

No, they may not be looking. But if they happen to see it they can and in certain cases will write you. I've seen it done.

Section 397 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law makes it unlawful to equip a motor vehicle with "a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use" unless one is a Peace Officer or a licensed amateur radio operator. 

This mean any scanning radio. Even if the freq isn't programed in, if it's a programable scanner, it's illegal.

One thing that I have heard of in the past is that if you need to use a scanner for Fire/EMS response, you can get a letter of permission from the Police Chief of your town. I don't know of the legality of this, so your milage may vary. Perhaps consulting your local law enforcement office for clarification and possible exceptions would be advisable to avoid prosecution for well meaning utilization.

New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law - Section 397

"A person, not a Police Officer or Peace Officer, acting pursuant to his special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on frequencies allocated for police use or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped"

It goes on but you get the idea... It's pretty clear and covers ANY scanner or two-way radio. Keep in mind the key word here is "capable," Any scanner or two-way radio is "capable."

As mentioned by others I think using some common sense here would be best. If you get stopped and you have a scanner you should TURN IT OFF! When a State Trooper has you stopped and he hears the echo of his own radio coming from inside your car what do you think he is going to do? Hmmm.

Police Officers know we have them. (Not that I do! :D ) haha

They turn there heads on a lot of things that being one of them.

The scanner can be a very useful tool in Fire and EMS.

Just use your head. This topic can be debated forever as to who and why someone should have one or need one.

I think the Police would look for the person who just robbed a Bank and has a police scanner, not the person who is a Firefighter or EMT. Keep in mind some Police Officers do "Look." Don't get mad, They are doing there job! Section 397 says so.

HINT... Out of sight, Out of mind! Happy Scanning!

this is going to sound a bit dumb, but is a portable scanner OK in car?

If u got caught in the Big apple awhile back sometimes they would ask u to take it out of your vehicle and it would be impounded. If PD freq's were in there......OH %$#* :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

im not to shure on the rules but i like to keep a scanner in my car because although briarcliff is dipatched on 46.26 we communicate on another freq. so i dont know if all the trucks are out untill i roll up on the main house. when i do one of 2 things have happend every one is gone or the call was stopped.

It all depends on why you are getting stopped. I sure if you are being stopped for a trivial infraction, the scanner is off and you explain the reason you have it their shouldnt be a problem. If you are being a wiseguy and the officer is looking for a reason to issue more summonses then thats a different story. Im sure a lot depends on your demeanor.

One of my members was stopped by the police for a traffice violation, busted tail light if I remember correctly. The officer noticed the scanner in his car and cofiscated it. The member did identify himself as fire fighter but the officer did not really care. No tickets were ever written. The point is, there are some police officers that will give you a hard time for having a scanner.

I will not identify the PD that did this but will say it was a neighboring town, not our own PD.

Look at the V&T law it states whom may have and whom maynot have a radio capable of receiving Police Frequencies..... A Ham license NO Matter what CLass is an exception to this statue (period the END)

MstremT

that should clear this UP ONCE AND FoR ALL

(i'm Tired and CRanky and going to BED!! g-nite)

I always thought it was legal to possess in your vehicle so long as you were not using it as a tool to commit crime.

Who is qualified (if not everyone) to be a licensed amateur radio operator (HAM)? and how do you become one?

over here scanners in cars ar ok as long its not being used to commit a crime or respond to anything you hear over police radio ie if you are a tow truck driver and hear a accident call come in and then turn up at the scene(but how are they going to know that you heard about it over police radio).over here also the police ,fire and ambos are starting to use networks that use a dedicated feq that only radios that are linked to the system can listen in on,but hey if you have the money and the knowledge you can still listen in,its all because of 9/11 they are spending money on better radio systems for security reasons so only those that should be listening in ldo so.

Who is qualified (if not everyone) to be a licensed amateur radio operator (HAM)? and how do you become one?

Anyone can become a licensed amateur radio operator (HAM as they are commonly called). IT doesn't take much. Years ago you needed to pass a basic morse code test (5 WPM I think) but they even eliminated that part in the new Technician No-Code License that was passed a few years back. Good starting point is to pick up the book "Now You're Talking!". It's available from the ARRL (American Radio Relay League). I think Radio Shack might still carry them, but not sure. They did when I worked there but that was over a decade ago. The test is basically knowledge of radio theory, regulations, basic electronics knowledge and the like. I took the test cold once and missed but 5 points on one section and 6 on another. Study the book and take the prectice tests and it should be a breeze.

Tests are offered faily frequently in the area. WECA (Westchester Emergency Communication Association) would be a good contact to find out when the next test is (http://www.weca.org. PEARL (Putnam Emergency & Amatuer Repeater League) is good if you are up in Putnam (http://www.k2put.org/).

Any questions, feel free to ask. If there are a lot, we'll branch off to a new thread.

Pearl will be holding a VE test on April 23 2005 from 9:00am to 10:30am. Check the PEARL site for more info.

over here scanners in cars ar ok as long its not being used to commit a crime or respond to anything you hear over police radio

Where is "over here" the New York State Law on Scanners is pretty clear and covers all of New York State.

Unless you are a Police Officer, Peace Officer in a Law Enforcement Agency or a licensed HAM you can not have a scanner in your car.

We all walk a fine line having one but just gotta use your head.

A lot of cops look the other way for Firefighters and EMT's and we are thankful for that.

I think this topic has been covered enough, huh? haha

:D

RWC130, the "over here" you are asking about is Austrailia.