Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

CO Monitoring During Overhaul

6 posts in this topic

Recently, I've learned of the high levels of CO that can remain inside a structure after overhaul, even with ventilation.

I'm wondering how many departments routinely require SCBA during overhaul, and how many departments monitor air quality inside a structure after the fire is put out???

My dept. requires it at all working fires. The gas meter is sent in, in various increments to detect and see if we can take our packs off. Usually, it's not until about a half hr to an hr that we are allowed to go off air during overhaul. We operate in "20-minute marks", which gives the incident command a time frame. He will be advised of his first 20 minute mark (20 minutes after dispatch of the call), 2nd 20 minute mark (40 minutes after dispatch) and so on....this way when he has a plan set in place he knows what was accomplished by the mark he wanted it done by, more of a checks and balances type of deal. But the gas meter is sent in on the same routine and checked frequently, so not to prematurely doff air-packs and breath harmful agents.

As long as theres an air monitor going on no need to set time limits, as you can chage off air when needed or back on when needed all according to readings.

We have an SOG regarding this topic. It states following a fire, SCBA shall be worn until the atmosphere has been metered and is within acceptable limits. These limits are defined as O2 levels above 19.5% and CO below 50 ppm. If metering shows acceptable levels, SCBA can be removed, if not SCBA shall remain in place. It also states metering devices shall remain in the fire area during overhaul.

In real life does this happen? What do you think...

I think its a great thing to monitor CO while doing over haul cause a lot of guys dont wear there SCBA' sduring over haul like they should.

All of our Department officers wear personal C/O detectors on their radio straps, which alarm at 35 PPM.

On a recent water flow alarm we detected a C/O condition in the basement of an adjacent store, which was totally unrelated to the original call, only because an officer's detector alarmed.

These detectors are good for 24 months (digital readout) and then they are discarded. Approximate cost $200 each. Well worth the cost.

As FDNY Chief Frank Montagna likes to say, "there are no routine runs."

Stay safe,

Fireman488