Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cutty630

30 credits?

5 posts in this topic

A friend who is on the job overheard a couple of probies saying that before they entered the academy they needed 60 college credits. I was told that I needed only 30 and after checking the website I still see the 30 and not 60. Can anyone enlighten me.

While on the subject of college credits, I took many fema classes online and I have all the certificates with me. My question is which school should I call to transfer all these classes into actual college credits. I am going to start to look on the web but I thought if someone else has done so already that it would save me a little time in searching.

Thanks for the help.

Cutty...are you inquiring about a PD or FD academy? I know when i was going through the process with the NYPD (i opted not to continue), i needed 60 credits to enter the academy.

I have heard that SUNY Corning Community College is a great place to earn credits from fire courses. I actually know people that have sent Corning CC their certificates and they have looked them over and issued them credits according to several credentials such as hours involved. For example, i believe you can earn up to 6 or 8 credits for EMT and 5 for FF-I and so on. For most FD/PD jobs, you may need a required 30 or 60 credits, but do not need them in any specific major. So if you are very active in your training, you could get all of your credits just from fire & ems courses!

Heres Corning Community Colleges site:

http://www.corning-cc.edu/future/protectiv...ireprottech.php

You may also want to try other colleges. When i went to Mercy, i brought in all of my fire & ems certificates and was issued a bunch of credits for them. I believe they added them all up and counted them as an intro to Environmental Health & Safety Admin. or something along those lines. If memory serves me correctly, one of the Professors at the Dobbs Ferry Campus was a Lt. or Capt. with White Plains (?) FD. My Dean faxed him copies of my certificates, he looked them over and issued me credits as appropriate.

Hope this helps a little. Good Luck to you!

Cool sounds goos I'll check the site out, and it was for FDNY.... Thanks again

Cutty, if you have the FEMA online course and want to convert them to College credits, go back to the site. FEMA has links to the college credits the online courses, I don't think you can get those from any college.

Cutty...whoops, i did not realize that this was under NYC Fire thread lol. I saw it under "recent topics" when i replied to it.

Anyway, good luck again!