Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beavis

Surplus Equipment-Where Does It Go?

14 posts in this topic

Just curious what happens to anyones old equipment both apparatus and other hardware. Is it donated, sold, ect??

are you also including equipment that may not be old but considered surplus

Yes, that too notlim650

I mean anything both new and used.

Usually equipment can be sold to other departments if its still in good working order and up to spec, otherwise equipment can be sold to private collectors, or be refurbished and kept by the department as an antique or spare, or could be donated to the community for special purposes or donated to a museum like the firefighting museum in hudson, ny.

I mean anything both new and used.

Can it be given away to a member by the chief

Can it be given away to a member by the chief

Usually, the chief of a department can't "give away" old equipment as it is not his or her place to do so. The chief is ,more or less, only a manager of the equipment.

If the department in question is governed by a fire district, the chief would have to approach the fire commissioners' to declare it surplus and they would have to make the ultimate decision. If the equipment is owned by a fire department, the board of directors would likely have the final say.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Usually, the chief of a department can't "give away" old equipment as it is not his or her place to do so.  The chief is ,more or less, only a manager of the equipment.

If the department in question is governed by a fire district, the chief would have to approach the fire commissioners' to declare it surplus and they would have to make the ultimate decision.  If the equipment is owned by a fire department, the board of directors would likely have the final say.

I am learning that there is a deference type's of departments, what about municipal, would it be the municipality like someone at town hall.

Usually equipment can be sold to other departments if its still in good working order and up to spec, otherwise equipment can be sold to private collectors, or be refurbished and kept by the department as an antique or spare, or could be donated to the community for special purposes or donated to a museum like the firefighting museum in hudson, ny.

Who has apparatus up in Hudson? I know they have stuff that goes way back - do they have a set amount of years old it has to be before it goes in?

I dont know about a set amount of years, but i know that Bedford, Buchanan and Somers among others have donated pieces of apparatus

I am learning that there is a deference type's of departments, what about municipal, would it be the municipality like someone at town hall.

It all depends on the agency's structure. The final say would be the governing body of that particular department/district. If it's a fire district, town hall has nothing to do with it as fire commissioners are town elected officials. If it's a fire association or fire protection district it would be the board of directors. If it's a village or city where the chief reports directly to the common council or village board, it may be them.

Regardless, in all situations, the first person to ask would be the chief of department. It would then be up to him whether or not to approach the proper people.

If there is equipment that is of no use to any department, I'm sure there are departments in third world countries that would just love to have it donated,or for that matter fire departmens in rural america that need up- dated fire supplies. dont let things go to waste.

If there is equipment  that is of no use to any department, I'm sure there are departments in third world countries that would  just love to have it donated,or for that matter fire departmens in rural america that need up- dated  fire supplies.  dont let things  go to waste.

....For what is its worth.....

My brother in law and sister belomg to the Bridgehampton Fire Department (Eastern L I) They recently donated an old Kenworth pumper, and drove it down to Katrina victims (not sure where exactly where it landed.) the decision was made by the company without hesitation. yet another instance of good karma, and consideration for those in need......

Just thought I'd drop a line.....

Jimmy

Just curious what happens to anyones old equipment both apparatus and other hardware. Is it donated, sold, ect??

Any info on old Ossining rigs? I think the Old ladder 41 s in service somewhere, butI know theres more . . . . .