Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

FDNY Super pumpers

22 posts in this topic

After mentioning it in anoter post is the super pumpers still used by FDNY. If they are they still called that and where are they located i know it use to be on in each boro. If anyone has any info would love to hear it.

The monster Macks of FDNY-the superpumper system went into service in summer of 1965 and was taken out of service on 25-oct-1982. If you want to get a good book on the history of the superpumper and just about every job it was at and some good pictures, FAJ has a book entitled "The FDNY Superpumper system", by John A.Calderone.-www.fireapparatusjournal.com

The Super Pumper System(Pumper and Tender) was phased out in the early 1980's and replaced with the Maxi Water System.

When a second alarm was transmitted, a Satellite would respond with its associated engine. On transmission of the third, Engine 207 would respond with the Maxi Water Unit(Another Satellite) and another Satellite with is associated Engine. The officer of 207 would be the water resource officer and announce a hook up site while responding. (Usually to a large diameter water main)

This in turn evolved(Nov. 1, 1998) into the Satellite Water System we have today. There are six pumpers, each with a pumping capacity of 2,000 GPM. The Satellite carries various sizes of LDH, foam concentrate in barrels, a manifold, various fittings, and of course, the big a$$ deck gun. 5 of the 6 are in the process of being replaced with new rigs. They respond on all second alarms, Foam operations, All Hands Doubtful in SI, certain street boxes and bridge boxes, and when requested by the IC. If they are not 10-84 prior to the Probably Will Hold, they are returned to service as per Department regulations. In my experience, I have only seen that deck gun get put to work three times, tops. The Manifold gets the most work.

Engine 9/Satellite 1-Manhattan

Engine 72/Satellite 2-Bronx

Engine 284/Satellite 3-Brooklyn

Engine 324/Satellite 4-Queens

Engine 159/Satellite 5-S.I.

Engine 207/Satellite 6-Brooklyn Side note, this is where the Super Pumper and Super Tender were quartered from the early 70's until they were disbanded.

The Super Pumper is owned now by a gentleman in Ohio, and the Super Tender is owned by a collector in California.

Edited by JBE

Thanks for the info, being a kid and only seeing the super pumper two times in my life and hearing about it all the time made it sound like a Myth LOL. Thanks againguys for the info i will check out that book.

The Super Pumper was amazing to see. I saw it many times on multiple alarme in The Bronx and Manhattan in the early '70's.

I recall that to start the pumps, a FF had to don ear protection and set off CO2 cartridges to get it going. And then the sound....oh what a sound. Never to be heard any any other apparatus or diesel engine in the world.

Bad part....the LDH on the satellites and tender were not light weight. Was a challenge to re-pack.

Looking at the pictiures it looks like the tender has jacks on it. Any reason for this?

That Is A Nice Truck. The Super Pumper System Truck. I Always Wanted To Know What THe FDNY Satellite Truck Was and Now I Know. But, That Is Really Great Pictures.

Thomas

post-839-1142134768.jpg

credit: macktrucks.com

Mack Produced one Super Pumper System for the Fire Department of New York City. It was delivered in 1965 and its first fire was on August 12, 1965. It answered 2,200 alarms and was placed out of service in 1982.

macktrucks.com

Edited by hoss

post-839-1142134844.jpg

post-839-1142134903.jpg

Does anyone know how much power these trucks had? They Looked like BEASTS! Although not that i know of, are there any other city departments that used a system like this one?

Check out hoss s 2nd pic there is a seat and steering wheel on the back of the tender facing backwards. What is it for ??

god i was only one when it went out of service. i would kill to see a video of it operating or at least responding. if anyone here can tell me if they have seen it responding to an alarm the roar of the engines and the horn blowing. what was peoples reaction when they saw it screaming down a street.im joking i wounldnt go as far killing obvously but it would be something to ecperiecne the sps in other than pics.

Tractor for the SP: 255 HP @ 2300RPM

Pump: 2400 HP @1800 RPM

It was started by compressed air. It could pump 8800 GPM @350 PSI or 4400 GPM @ 700 PSI.

The tender tractor had outriggers to stabilize it when the water cannon got put to work. The tiller position was used the same way a tiller is used on a ladder truck. It was eventually removed.

I was only 8 when this rig was retired, however I have seen video of it being put to work. It's rather impressive. The SPS was the only one of its kind.

The tender tractor had outriggers to stabilize it when the water cannon got put to work. The tiller position was used the same way a tiller is used on a ladder truck. It was eventually removed.

]

JBE the seat is facing the wrong way to be a tiller ????????????

the rear drivers station was for backing up to help in picking up and repacking the hose bed. it was not useful and removed very early in its life.

There was only 1 Super Pumper built worldwide, the FDNY unit.

More info (some of it overlaps with the posts by JBE, dadbo46 and GoshenFD):

The FDNY Super Pumper System 1965 to 1982

William Francis Gibbs was an internationally renowned naval architect and marine engineer.

A Philadelphia fire buff as a child, Gibbs designed the 1938 FDNY Fireboat Fire Fighter and 74% of the U. S. Navy’s World War II fleet.

He was so concerned about fire that he designed the passenger liner S. S. United States with very little wood on board, just two butcher’s blocks and eleven pianos.

In 1962, he started working with Mack Trucks on the concept of a land-based fireboat.

Gibbs wanted to develop a water delivery system that corresponded to the capacity of the FDNY Fire Fighter.

Sixty-five years after going in the water, the Fire Fighter remains the most powerful fireboat in existence, with a 20,000 gpm pumping capacity at 150 psi or 10,000 gpm at 300 psi.

The Super Pumper system was to support operations in fires that went to a third alarm or higher.

Gibbs used a six-stage DeLaval pump capable of 8800 gallons per minute at 350 psi or 4400 gpm at 700 psi. Powering this pump was an 18 cylinder, twin turbo Napier-Deltic T18-37C locomotive diesel.

The pump and power plant were mounted on a Mack tractor-trailer rig.

A second tractor-trailer was the Tender and carried 2000 feet of 4.5†supply line. This was the first use of 4.5†hose in New York.

The tractor portion of the Tender also carried a Stang “Intelligiant†monitor with an eight inch barrel. The tender monitor had a 10,000 gpm capability and a maximum master stream reach of 600 feet.

Three smaller, pumper-sized, rigs were used as Satellite companies, each carrying 2000 feet of 4.5†supply lines and a Stang monitor with a six inch barrel. The Satellites could deliver 4000 gpm through the Stang master stream monitors.

From 1966 through 1975, the Super Pumper system responded to an average of 197 runs and 75 workers a year.

The July 1975 budget crisis resulted in the de-staffing of the Satellite companies and a significant reduction of the Super Pumper automatic dispatch algorithm. The Super Pumper and Tender were retired in 1982.

The system amassed impressive results, including pumping at one fire non-stop for 12 hours and 35 minutes.

It made a 7000 foot hose stretch at the Coop City Development in the Bronx, because the water mains were not installed at the construction site.

At a 1967 Morgan Annex Post Office fire the Super Pumper simultaneously supplied the Tender, three satellites, a portable manifold and two tower ladders.

source: www.nvcc.edu

Other than a money crisis and the devolpment of better apparatus, could this rig be re-built or re-instated to the FDNY?

Well, as per JBE, both Pumper and Tender are in private collector hands in Ohio and California.

Bring them back to FDNY ? As they say if there's a will, there's a way. BUT, $$$$ to buy them back, condition, $$$ to refurb, $$ custom parts, are hydrants still there, would it make sense, etc, ????? I dunno, JBE, others, help me out here....

Now, personally, with the help of Mega and Powerball, I'd make them an offer they can't refuse, build my custom bays at a wharehouse in New Rochelle, shine them up and put them to work at Kensico Dam !!!! :D:D :angry: :D

Edited by hoss