Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Mohegan VAC Super CME Sunday

7 posts in this topic

Ok, first of all, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes lol.

I just want to commend all who were involved with making todays (2/05) "Super CME Sunday" possible!

For those who are unaware of what this was, it was a full day (7:00am-11:00pm) of CME lectures, which covered all required topics for the CME pilot program! It was a very long day, but definately well worth it in my own opinion! One of the nicest things was that i, as well as everyone else, was able to catch up on my CME's. But aside from that, we were all lectured on very important topics and by the best damn lecturers we could ask for, IMO!

Among the lecturers was Dr. John McGurty (local FD/PD sergeon), who had recently returned from serving in Iraq! Doc shared with us all a truly remarkable slide show/video presentation depicting his duties, the hardships faced by our armed forces and even some good/happy moments! This was truly an eye-opener to me and i think most everyone else in the room! John Filangeri, who spent a good part of his career as an EMT & Paramedic in some of the best and worst areas of NYC, was another presenter/lecturer. John is now, and has been, the director of operations for the Cortlandt Regional Paramedics. With his extensive EMS background, experience and knowledge/history of EMS, he made excellent lectures and covered great topics! For those of you who have had the pleasure of working with John, either in the field or in one of his lectures, you know the true love that he has for EMS and it always shows! The other lecturer was John Bray (EMT-P), who i believe is the ALS coordinator at St. Vincent's, but i'm not 100% sure. This was the first time i had sat through a CME with him and let me just say he made time fly by! He knew exactly how to address the audience and added humor to keep our attention. I was totally impressed with his lectures and how he magaged to keep everyone interested!

Aside from the lecturers, a great appreciation must go to all of the Mohegan VAC/FD members who made this event possible, especially Barry Brown who i know busted his a** all day! I know there had to be alot of planning that went into this event, but it was definately well worth it and i hope those Mohegan VAC/FD members know that! It was a total success from start to end and i hope that there are more like this to come!

I believe that this was a great idea to get a large number of EMT's, EMT-I's & Paramedic's together for the sole purpose of training and it worked! I was a bit sceptical at first, not knowing what to expect or if i'd be able to stay awake that long, but attending this event today was well worth it all around! Not only did i enjoy a full day of lectures, but i saw some old friends, ate some incredible food and even watched some of the big game!

Sorry to ramble on everyone, but i just wanted to let the members of Mohegan VAC/FD know how wonderful of a job they did and i know i'm not the only one who felt that way! So to those of you who were involved with this event, in any way, know that it was a huge success and was well worth your time and effort! I look foward to possibly seeing more oportunities like this in the future!

BFD, did this include all practical evolutions as well? Or was it just all day lectures. Sounds very interesting and I would like to hear more on this allthough I would stay away from Superbowl Sunday :)

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

BFD,

Hey, that sounded like a great thing to do. My wife and I are both trying to get our squad to go with the Pilot Program also. We attended the lecture at this past years Vital Signs conference in Rochester about starting one. I would love to get some info from you on how to organize such a day, and how to get a hold of some of the lecturers. I think that would be a great way to get our squad into this program, especialy if they see that they can get a bulk of their credits in a one day lecture program. Thanks for the tip!! :)

Chief Mancusi,

No, unfortunately it did NOT include the practical evolutions. I think there were just too many people in attendance to be able to pull that off. If i am not mistaken, all of your required CME lectures were included, thats if you stayed all day. Covered was; Airway/Asthma, MCI/Triage, child abuse, Pediatrics, Anaphylaxis, Geriatrics, Cardiology/ACS & Trauma/Sports injuries.

m_bjones,

Yes this was a great thing to do and i would reccommend any agency to try and plan something like this, even if it were on a smaller level. It was a great way to get a good portion of your CME's knocked out in just one day.

Unfortunately, i am not a member of Mohegan FD/EMS, and i was only there to attend. Therefore, i really wouldn't be able to help you out in trying to plan something similar for your squad. There are however, plenty of Mohegan FD/EMS members on this site that may be able to help you out. I will look and ask around and if i can come up with some info, i will pass it along to you. In any event, good luck to you!

MB Jones, private message me with any questions you have, and I'm sure I can help you with lecturers and prices and such.

Second, hats off to the entire Mohegan group that organized this and the kitchen crew. Great job to all. The prime rib was great.

Third, OohRah to Doc McGurty, who showed who the finest fighting force in the world is and why they are in the area of Iraq they are. Cause when the $hit hits the fan, and the world dials 911, the answers is "United States Marine Corps what is your malfunction?"

I know of of some agencies that are thinking about doing this as well, I know I am also interested and want to work with them to keep it well rounded with different topics spread out through the year.

...they had this during the super bowl?!?!

...they had this during the super bowl?!?!

Kinda like a major violation or something....... :D:D:huh::o

All kidding aside, can someone contact me at my e-mail Amanc2196@aol.com. I would like to speak to someone also about this. Thank you.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD