Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikerabbit

Fire Horns on the Grasslands Reservation

7 posts in this topic

Recently I heard fire horns sounding from the Grasslands Reservation which houses the Medical Center as well aas the Jail. Does anybody know what these horns are for? I almost thought they sounded liker a jail break alarm...

Thanks

Mike

Recently I heard fire horns sounding from the Grasslands Reservation which houses the Medical Center as well aas the Jail. Does anybody know what these horns are for? I almost thought they sounded liker a jail break alarm...

Thanks

Mike

The horns are to summon the Grasslands Fire Brigade which protects the reservation from 8-3:30 Mon-Fri. Each bulding and section within the building have specific box numbers. There is a seperate siren for a jail-break.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

On a clear day in the summer I can hear them up here in Ossining.

The brigade runs hot and cold some days no alarms and some days lots of them. As for run totals I do not know that-asstchieffd might have that answer

I believe Valhalla fire dept uses them as well they blow for ever. The jail has an electronic siren for jailbreaks. The box number gets blown as least three times, it is also blown at 12 noon twice followed by the sirens. I can hear them from White Plains cleary.

Edited by Jared1979

After 3:30PM, most of the reservation is covered by Valhalla, and part by Hawthorne. IF you listen to the horn blasts, you can actually tell who's call it is. On a clear night you can hear them a minute or two before our tones go off.