Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

NYPD Communication

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I was wondering about NYPD communications. Whenever I hear them, they are always calling "central." Is central a CENTRALIZED control center or is ir boro by boro? Anyone know anything else about them?

Thanks and enjoy the snow...

The whole operation, with the exception of part of the ERS answering point, is out of one building in Brooklyn. The way the radios work is there are a set number of precincts on a particular frequency. SOD, which covers Aviation, ESU and Harbor have their own frequency. There are answering points for 911 calls known as pods in one large room and then the radios are in another room. Hope that helps. The back up 911 center and dispatch office is over at 1 Police Plaza in Manhattan.

Interesting side note, 1 PP and the buildings surrounding it were built over the old quarters of Engine 6. Engine 32 was disbanded and Engine 6 moved into their quarters. Hope this helps.

Thanks JBE.

So basically then the computer system keeps track of all the calls and what priority they are for dispatching? Becuase I have heard Central saying "holding x calls in the xx"

Thanks JBE.

So basically then the computer system keeps track of all the calls and what priority they are for dispatching? Becuase I have heard Central saying "holding x calls in the xx"

The computer system, SPRINT, sends the calls for the division concerned (usually 2-3 precincts are on a division) to the indiviual dispatchers, including all Citywide notifications. It's up to the dispatcher to assign the calls to the sector/s concerned. Yes, they go into 'alert' (holding calls) often, but a 'backlog' (more than 5 jobs holding) doen't happen too often because the dispatcher has the ability to assign up to 5 low priority jobs to each sector.

Radios for the Transit Bureau are also in the same building, but are on a different computer system, (not SPRINT). This difference often leads to a delay when jobs are put out over both radio sytems. For example a job will come over Transit radios for a 10-54 cardiac at 42/Time Square. Usually about 10 minutes later the Precint units will get the same job. Transit radios have one frequency(roughly) and a tactical channel assigned per boro.

Edited by grumpyff

Just a note...

If you would like ANY of the NYPD Frequencies I have all of them.

Updated with PL's. Broken down by Boro and Zones/Divisions.

Just PM or e-mail me. :D "ON THE AIR..K"

Edited by RWC130

NYPD has called their dispatchers "Central" back at least through the 1950's