Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

News 12 screw up

13 posts in this topic

The other day Yonkers had the fatal fall victim at 385 Mclean Ave. Apparently, News 12 received a call from a woman that resides at this location who told them that she called 911 and no one answered. She hung up, and while dispatchers were attempting to call her back she called again. This time she told News12 that the 911 operator said hello when they picked up the phone. News 12 contacted YPD for clarification, while the department was going through the proper channels to investigate this, News 12 decided to run the story without verification. The tapes have been reviewed and due to the number of calls being received at the time of this incident it was found that she allowed the phone to ring 5 times before disconnecting and calling back. It is also clear that the dispatcher says "911 Yonkers" on the second call. Of course this took too long for News 12 so they ran a false story just to make headlines. When confronted on the issue they told the YPD commissioner that they had a deadline. Well, if you have a good imagination and want to see it come to life call News 12 and tell them about it...they will get you your 15 minutes of fame.

This is not the first instance in which this has happenned with News 12 and probably not the last. The dispatchers at Yonkers Police are very upset about this and are awaiting an apology from News 12. We all work very hard each and every day and are not appreciated ever. The phones are very busy constantly and when large scale events occur it can get almost ridiculous with the amount of calls we receive in relation which slows the response from first ring to even the fifth. As all emergency personnel know, people are nosy as well, and they call to find out what is going on. News 12 should come answer phones with us and then they can run some ridiculous story. Listen to what people ask of us and then put their antics on the news.

We are asking that if you have something, make them sweat. I know that for now I am not even gonna say, "yeah, we have a call there"....used to try to help them out but that has ended....sorry justin and mary, better talk to your boss about fixing this!

Last week, they had a similar issue with a Cortlandt Trooper. The intro alluded to racial profiling caught on tape. News 12 then played the "Tape", a recording made on the cell phone of a passenger in the car, and it was found the Trooper was completely in the right, was very professional and did everything by the book.

News12 choose to run the "story", and basically, in the end, all they did was run a recording of a textbook traffic stop.

Edited by INIT915

You guys are surprised by this?? Anything for a story, I suppose.

I'm actually shocked by this... Not by the fact that their news is stupid, inaccurate, or just plain ignorant, but by the fact that they got it out so quickly... News12 generally reports things a good 24 hours after they happen, my motto for them is "yesterday's news today (tomorrow, the day after that, and for the next 10 days we'll be playing the same stories)..."

This cant be true, News 12 the National Enquirer of Westchester County ran a story without verifying it?????? I am sure glad I have Directv and not subjected to there brand of news casting. From watching previous broadcast of them at the firehouse they are a disgrace to the people of Westchester

i have said this in the past and i will say it again,news 12 is better than the last local news who used to cover all the fires, police incidents,sporting events etc. that was NO ONE! I do agree that they have some if not alot of tweaking to do but hopefully they will learn from the mistakes made in the past. And if they have screwed up and made a mistake they would correct themselves and be more aware of what damage might have been done to an individual or an organization.

Funny YPD ESU had a 7 second, yes a 7 second response time to the incident....

Yeah but if they regularly make mistakes, and don't improve on them....

Oswegowind,

You should really pitch a b**** about this to both The Journal News and Yonkerstribune.com. News 12's inaccuracies on mnay occasions are disgraceful.

Glad that Ii do not subscribe to this crap news network.

Really seems to have taken on a tabloid like quality.

I know all too well how difficult a job it is to be a dispatcher in Yonkers, you do not need this crappy second guessing from a second rate news organization.

An on air retraction and apology is needed.

Oswegowind,

You should really pitch a b**** about this to both The Journal News and Yonkerstribune.com. News 12's inaccuracies on mnay occasions are disgraceful.

Glad that Ii do not subscribe to this crap news  network.

Really seems to have taken on a tabloid like quality.

I know all too well how difficult a job it is to be a dispatcher in Yonkers, you do not need this crappy second guessing from a second rate news organization.

An on air retraction and apology is needed.

I'm glad I live in Putnam so I only see it at the firehouse. Don't forget the main thing, if they get a story wrong they keep repeating it every half hour.

Another news 12 screw up!

The other day they were taping the funeral for NYPD officer Hernandez and the reporter clearly stated that the family gave the movie crew permission to film for the new movie... now they are reporting the family never did give permission...don't they have a fact checker that is held responsible for bogus statements? Maybe they needed to post a job or something. And to the guy named justin...please stop calling everytime we give out a job and you did not hear the entire transmission...we are busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oswegowind,

You and anybody else is more than welcome to submit a piece reagrding the first News 12 screw up to my friend at Yonkerstribune.com via ehezi@yonkerstribune.com and pen names are generally used so there is no need to worry about any repercussions from the bosses.

Happy Weekend.

P.S.--Tell some of the female dispoatchers that their voices come over muffled when they speak too closely into the console microphone.

Thanks, my cousin is MOS