Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

18 Bravest Hurt In Bronx Inferno

5 posts in this topic

Taken today from the New York Post 04/26/04

April 26, 2004 -- Eighteen firefighters were injured as they battled a raging blaze on the top floor of a Bronx apartment building yesterday.

Some 140 firefighters rushed to the three-alarm inferno at 2585 Grand Concourse after a 911 call came in at 11:45 a.m.

"It was a very serious fire," said FDNY spokesman Bill Green. "The firefighters had to use four hand lines to put it out."

The fierce blaze was finally brought under control at 1:20 p.m., he said.

Green said the injured firefighters were taken to Cornell and Jacobi hospitals. Four had minor burns, five had more serious burns and the remainder various joint and back injuries.

Terrified residents of the six-story building described a dramatic explosion in one apartment, understood to be home to a family of four that was out at the time of the blaze.

"Something exploded above me in the living room," said Angelica Grullon, who lives in the apartment below. "Then someone banged on my door and I ran out."

Grullon's tearful sister, Zoraida Cardona, who shares the apartment, said she was just grateful no one had died.

"Everyone I know is alive," she said. "Everything else is all right."

The FDNY is still investigating the cause of the blaze.

Some 140 firefighters rushed to the three-alarm inferno at 2585 Grand Concourse after a 911 call came in at 11:45 a.m. 

"It was a very serious fire," said FDNY spokesman Bill Green. "The firefighters had to use four hand lines to put it out." 

Okay. I'm not a firefighter but, doesn't is seem like 140 guys for four handlines is a bit overkill? You'd think with that much manpower there would be more lines going at once. OR am I missing something.

Okay. I'm not a firefighter but, doesn't is seem like 140 guys for four handlines is a bit overkill? You'd think with that much manpower there would be more lines going at once. OR am I missing something.

4 lines equals about 24 eng . co. men, plus ladder co.s, doing their search and venting, another 20-25 men, rescue and other special units, another 12 men, plus chiefs and their drivers, plus relief units for eng. and ladder co.s, another 25-30 guys or more. The more alarms put in, the more troops. I'm not FDNY so I suggest you talk to one of them. You're right though, it dosen't take 140 men to run 4 lines. But to do a complete job, it might!

Ok.. Here is an example of fdny Alarm Assignments.

Phone Alarm- 2engs and 1 truck with 1 chief

2nd Source - 1 eng and 1 truck added

10-75 - 1 eng and 1 truck(FAST) with 1 chief added

All hands - 1 Deputy

2nd Alarm - 4engs and 2 trucks with 2 chiefs added

3rd Alarm - 4 engs and 1 truck with 1 chief added

Total so far 12 engs - 6 trucks - 5 chiefs and 1 deputy

12 engs x 5 FF's = 60

6 Trucks x 6 FF's = 36

5 Chuefs x 2 FF's =10

1 Deputy x 2 FF's = 2

Ok now lets add some special units

10-75 - 1 Squad, 1 Rescue

All hands - 1 Rac

2nd Alarm - Field Comm - Safety & Soc Chiefs - Tac unit - Forensic Unit - Satellite Water System

3rd Alarm - MSU - Public Information

Starting to get the idea.. This also does not inculde any special called trucks over the norm..

This was a top floor fire with explosion and fire in the cockloft. Ask me 140 sounds like nothing when you think you have to replace every unit that has a injury and FDNY Sops are 2 engs for every one hose line.

Ok.. Here is an example of fdny Alarm Assignments.

Phone Alarm- 2engs and 1 truck with 1 chief

2nd Source - 1 eng and 1 truck added

10-75 - 1 eng and 1 truck(FAST) with 1 chief added

All hands - 1 Deputy

2nd Alarm - 4engs and 2 trucks with 2 chiefs added

3rd Alarm - 4 engs and 1 truck with 1 chief added

Total so far 12 engs - 6 trucks - 5 chiefs and 1 deputy 

12 engs x 5 FF's = 60

6 Trucks x 6 FF's = 36

5 Chuefs x 2 FF's =10

1 Deputy x 2 FF's = 2

Ok now lets add some special units

10-75 - 1 Squad, 1 Rescue

All hands - 1 Rac

2nd Alarm - Field Comm - Safety & Soc Chiefs - Tac unit - Forensic Unit - Satellite Water System

3rd Alarm - MSU - Public Information

Starting to get the idea.. This also does not inculde any special called trucks over the norm.. 

This was a top floor fire with explosion and fire in the cockloft.  Ask me 140 sounds like nothing when you think you have to replace every unit that has a injury and FDNY Sops are 2 engs for every one hose line.

I think I was close enough for an old Burbs' guy. I forgot some units. My apologies. tbendick sounds like the WORD! Thanks. Just knew the EMS guy was uninformed.