Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stench60

Harry Howard

5 posts in this topic

FF402, in answer to your question of who Harry Howard was, he was the second to last volunteer Chief Engineer of New York City Fire Department. He was elected to office in 1857 and served until 1860 when he was unable to run for reelection due to a debilitating paralysis he suffered due to over exertion in his duties.

He was considered THE firemans fireman, and was instrumental in the formation of Port Chesters' Hook & Ladder Co. in 1858, donating the equipment to furnish the hand drawn ladder the members had purchased as outdated equipment from NYC.

He eventually ended up with several fire companies named for him: Harry Howard Hose Co. No. 55 NYFD, Harry Howard Hook & Ladder Co., No. 11 NYFD, Harry Howard Hook & Ladder Co., No. 1 PCFD and Harry Howard Hose., No. 12 YFD. Also, since he was one

of the great promoters and a very substantial and the first benefactor of the Firemens' Home in Hudson, the home now sits on Harry Howard Ave. in the City of Hudson in his honor. There is also an intersection in lower Manhattan ( for the life of me I can't remember which) named Harry Howard Square with plaque and all. His working helmet and official city portrait are still kept by the Harry Howard in Port Chester.

If you have ever been to the NYC Fire Museum, the LARGE painting of the fire chief in front of you as you step out onto the second floor is of Harry running to a fire.

It was only about 9-10 years ago that the last member of Harry Howard of Yonkers passed away, certainly would've been interesting to speak to him.

I hope someone can answer the question I have ( a YFD history buff most likely ) Why did the Yonkers company take the Harry Howard name?

Very interesting information

Link to picture of Harry Howard Chief Enginneer.

http://www.nyfd.com/museum_images/howard.html

Stench60

If you have ever been to the NYC Fire Museum, the LARGE painting of the fire chief in front of you as you step out onto the second floor is of Harry running to a fire

another photo on site

http://www.westnet.com/fire/picpage.html

very intresting learning about harry howard

It is back - I saw it last night - According to a few members, it's supposed to be 1st due now.