Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

How do you start it up?

6 posts in this topic

If your department has a explorer program, how can jrs. be eligble to ride the trucks to calls? Get insurance? or what? How does your department do it?

Explorers are under the Boy Scouts and cannot ride. Junior Corps. however are active FF's who are just not aloud to enter a structure. Usually they are equivilent to Senior Corp. members with the previous exception. I believe you can be an explorer at 14 and junior corp at 16. I would imagine its probably different depending on who you talk to.

If your department has a explorer program, how can jrs. be eligble to ride the trucks to calls? Get insurance? or what? How does your department do it?

There is a difference between Jr. Corps and Explorers. Explorers are covered under insurance policies throught the BSA (Boy Scouts Of America). They exploeres usually can join at age 14-18. They cannot ride out on apparatus, be at the station w/ out a senior member, can't use hydraulics, can't climb over 10 ft, and they can't go to live burns. Jr Corps are different, they range from ages 16-18, and can ride out. You need to check w/ your local fd, and fd board, and see what their policies are. Years ago, my department allowed jr members to join and ride out, but once the city changed their insurance policy they had to stop that and change everything over, and that's why we have exploer posts today.

I have been working with the explorer post for about 8 years now as an advisor. Our explorers are allowed to ride in the cab of the tanker, or in the rescue truck provided there is room for them and there is an advisor or accepting officer. They can do all exterior ops at fires, climb up to 25', train with hydraulic tools at fd drills, and ride with the rescue squad if there is room for them and the emt accepts them. They are insured through the Boy Scouts and we meet with our council rep quarterly to discuss business. Check with your local BSA Council Rep for info.

Yes when we started an explorer post up in Fairfield, the Boy Scouts provided the insurance. However they do have a specific list of criteria the scouts can and can not do pretaining to fire fighting, tool use ect., pretaining to ride alongs- the explorer being a boy scout will be covered under their insurance not the fire departments. But just to be safe once again check with the local bsa group as to what your explorer group's charter does or does not allow.

The difference between an Explorer Post and a Jr. Crew has been stated. But has to what they can do, the Explorer Post being run through the BSA has several restrictions. In the Elmsford Jr. Crew, we are allowed on live burn drills, can use hydraulics, climb over 30ft, but are not allowed to ride the rigs to calls. However, my advisors have checked and while I am not saying this is totally true, they discovered that with an Explorer Post through the BSA, the insurance provided by the BSA is a secondary, that the insurance provided by the explorers family is the primary insurance. Again I am not saying that is a fact, that is just something brought to my attention. But as to joining an explorer post it's 14-18, jr. crew not to sure, and as to what you can do is up to the dept. There are some dept.'s that allow their jrs/explorers depending what it is to do certain things.