Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbvfd596

ICE RESCUE CALLS

6 posts in this topic

Okay, i was just wondering what to do if a call for a person through the ice comes in?

Today, my department got dispatched to a call on a report of a child through the ice.....

the 1st due engine was out of the station, and the ice rescue sled was sitting in the firehouse, as well as the boat. Another 1st due rig from another station got the kid out, and the sled made it to the call on another rig, but the boat never did, but another station had 2 boats on scene, but than again, what good is a boat if theres no where to launch it?

Anyway, what should one, or their department do inorder to have this more organized. Should we have canoes as well depending on needs? and if you have no spot on a rig for a ice rescue sled what do you do?

Durring the winter we store the ice rescue sled on the Rescue Truck. The rest of the year is is behind the Rescue along the wall. The gumby suits are always on the Rescue. Right now, our Rescue is out for maintance and the sled and suits are on the Utility. One of our Ambulances will respond with the Utility to provide a "changing room". Normally the Utility would have the boat in the back (inflatable) but right now it has too much rescue stuff.

In east Fishkill, the ice rescue equipment is stored at headquarters. The team usually will throw the equipment into our Fire Investigation unit(an old mod ambulance) or the fire Police van (also an old mod ambulance) and go. that way, they have a changing room, plenty of space to operate and move the equipment. if they need a boat they will tone out for a rig from station 2 with the row boat, or the rescue to go get the zodiack and stuff it in the back of the rescue.

My dept., Walden (Orange), we have an cold water rescue team. All our equipment is stored on our ladder truck, mostly due to the available room and equipment already one it to assist in the rescue. Protocol is for the first 2 cert. guys 2 get to the fire house start to suit up and throw at least 1 bag of PFDs and helmets in the cab. If the guys arent finished suitin up when the trucks ready theres enough room in it to finish. Also as soon as our first unit arrives on scene and confirms there are people in the water M/A goes out for our back-up team, our neighboring dept. Montgomery, to respond with thier team and boat.

In many cases of cold water rescue, boats are not always necessary. Usually if someone fell through the ice it is on some body of water stable enough to form ice. This usually means the person walked there from shore and it would be close enough to approach slowly with a cold water survival suit make a grab with perhaps just a long (noodle) rescue ring and then be towed back to shore by your shore crew. Some things to keep in mind if your boat does not wind up responding. However if the victim is perhaps too far out for rescue ropes and shore personnell to reach, then the boat is obviously a viable tool.

My dept., Walden (Orange), we have an cold water rescue team. All our equipment is stored on our ladder truck, mostly due to the available room and equipment already one it to assist in the rescue. Protocol is for the first 2 cert. guys 2 get to the fire house start to suit up and throw at least 1 bag of PFDs and helmets in the cab. If the guys arent finished suitin up when the trucks ready theres enough room in it to finish. Also as soon as our first unit arrives on scene and confirms there are people in the water M/A goes out for our back-up team, our neighboring dept. Montgomery, to respond with thier team and boat.

Not really wanting to stir things up, but do you guys have a policy on seatbelts? I know by my own experience many places don't and changing in the truck is the norm. Just a thought. Personally, I'm trying to use the seatbelts as often as I can, especially when certain drviers are behind the wheel :rolleyes: