Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firecapt32

Maximum Age For Service?

10 posts in this topic

It is with regret that we read again for the, at least third time this year, that we have lost a firefighter over the age of 65.

Two were well into their seventies--these guys should be spoiling their grandchildren,instead we are mourning their loss.

The fire service is always grateful for the time a person spends protecting the lives and property of the community in which they live or work, but dont you think their comes a time to "hang up the spikes" so to speak.

Does your department have a top age for responding?? should it??

just asking- as we remember another fallen hero in our service.

It is  with regret  that we read again for the, at least third time this year, that we have lost a firefighter over the age of 65.

Two were well into their seventies--these guys should be spoiling their grandchildren,instead we are mourning their loss.

The fire service is always grateful for the time a person spends protecting the lives and property of the community in which they live or work, but  dont you think their comes a time to "hang up the spikes" so to speak.

Does your department have a top age for responding?? should it??

just asking- as we remember another fallen hero in our service.

We only have an age limit for driving and it is 65 allthough it has been waived on a case by case basis. I do agree there comes a point where one must ask am I too old for this type of activity??? Most volunteer depts have life membership categories and maybe at a certain age duty should be limited to maybe dispatching or other administrative jobs but at what age do you draw the line and also...can you legally tell someone they can not perform the duties because of age in a volunteer department? There were lawsuits years ago regarding pregnant members of volunteer departments who were told by thier powers to be to take medical leaves but the women won based on a discrimanatory issue. The same holds true for senior citizens so it is a tough call. Once again firecapt raises a good point.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

You bring up a good point. Age is not the issue but the "physical ability of the firefighter". A lot of departments do not require physicals (annual or otherwise) If these guys would have taken one, more than likely they would be taken off active duty or asked to "man the desk". I am a big proponent of firefighter physicals to "protect our own". If it takes 3 firefighters out of interior/exterior status but potentially saves one of them from a heart attack, I'll take it. The last thing I would want to do, if I were chief, is to say sorry but your husband had a heart attack.

We too have a maximum age for driving trucks at 65 years of age you have to stop. It falls in line with the CDL laws in CT. (If I'm wrong on the age fellow CT-ers, correct me please).

I have noticed though that a majority of the older members that have pass in the fire service lately are either responders from the fire-police units or those who are drivers. Very rarely do you see members over 60 fighting fires. Members in this capacity of fire department activities are vital to operations. Most of the members had "done their time on the line" and moved away from fighting the fires to supporting them.

I think that yes everyone should be in good physical shape and get checked out every year. But to set a to age can cut a volunteer department's force too. At the same token, how many people do we know that are over 60 and still active in career departments? I know several. Do we start forcing retirements on all members over a certain age?? It can be a nightmare but it might have to be done. It is sad that some hurt feelings may come about but will it save a life? Personally I don't believe so. Why? Most firefighter deaths are related to heart attacks. Yes we can say that keeping physically fit, eating right, ect can help prevent them, but in actuality it can strike anyone at anytime. Unfortunately for firefighters it happens when the heart rate is up with the adrenaline flowing.

For example of its randomness, I know of two women, non firefighters that are friends of my family. One woman has had heart trouble for several years. The other was in complete phsyical shape, not heath problems. Both were of the same age. The physically fit woman died of a massive heart attack a year ago. Goes to show that it can happen to anyone.

It is something to think about and might have to be brought up down the line. Yes the LODD's may go down if these members are prevented from responding, but at the same token, if the factors are there for a heart attack to occur, its going to happen anyway. And firecapt, I'm not knocking you on you comment at all when I say this, but I rather see this happen on a fire scene than a grandfather diying in front of his grandchildren. I understand what you are trying to say in your point but no matter what way it happens its still not a good thing.

most career departments the age of retirement is between 62 and 65. One of the reasons that career department have a 20 yrs retirement is because it is a demanding job.

Your health is the most important thing you have other then the love of you life partner.

Id some how rather find my grandfather dead in bed at 78 then have someone tell me he got hit by a car directing traffiic at some accident scene. like the 78 yr old firefighter did last month.

The elderly are wonderfull people, I wanna get ther my self one day but there has to come a time...

giev them a dinner, give them a gold badge, just dont let them be active firefighters,

Thats my story and im sticking ot it.

FireCapt, though I am at a young age now I hope I remember your words when I get old and pass the torch on to the next generation. I do agree with you and I was also trying to show the other side that I sometimes see.

I respect your thoughts and would back you if you needed it.

I think its dangerous to put a maximum age on participants in the fire services (career or otherwise). Many great leaders and peers of mine would be excluded if that was the case.

One of the chiefs that I had the pleasure of serving under, in the next few years, will fall into an age bracket where some folks would say that he should no longer be responding. I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE.... I'd take him as my partner on the hairest job any day of the week. He's fit, stong, knowledgable, and able to do the work of someone decades younger than he is.

BUT

There there does need to be a check and balance to make sure that we're not putting people at undue risk. I personally believe that on a case by case basis, all Members Of The Service above the age of 65 should have an annual health review to ensure that their level of response is appropriate. This should not simply be limited to a doctor's yea or nea on the individual's health, but it should also include an an interview and discussion with the senior member by a commanding officer who is responsible for their health and safety both on and off the fireground.

Finally, we also need to keep in mind what these folks want for themselves. If a 78 year old grandfather who could potentially have 60+ years in the fire service is physically and mentally capable of directing traffic at the scene of an incident to the standards required by his department, then who are we to say that he should die at home in bed vs. while directing traffic (a tragic ending to anyone's life regardless of age).

I am probably going to start a holy war here but here goes!!!

How does everyone feel about possibly having CPAT requirements say ever two years or so??? This would definately prevent some of these LODD. Its simple folks, this is a dangerous job, lives depend on US. At least these requirements would be good for interior fire fighters, they could possibly be omitted for Outside Tour Commanders. I am probably touching a few nerves.

Just want to discuss

I am probably going to start a holy war here but here goes!!!

How does everyone feel about possibly having CPAT requirements say ever two years or so???  This would definately prevent some of these LODD.  Its simple folks, this is a dangerous job, lives depend on US.  At least these requirements would be good for interior fire fighters, they could possibly be omitted for Outside Tour Commanders.  I am probably touching a few nerves.

Just want to discuss

No disagreement here. CPAT or other form of agility testing. And allthough part of our physicals incluse EKG's I feel stress testing for the heart is important as well.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

annual testing right now includes a e.k.g. and pulmanary function test. thats should do for now. yes i agree there are some older people that can run rings around others-- are they the exception--probably.

The fire ground is no place for a person with diminished reflexes/slow timeing/ and les the quick thinking. Lives depend on all of thoses things.

Lets hear more form you guys.

Izzy I hope you are in the fire service for a long time and have a happy healthy length of service, live long enough to see your childern's childern.

but remember ther does come a time to sit back and emjoy life.